[SOLVED] Need to upgrade my GPU

GrimmDZ

Reputable
Oct 7, 2019
I need to upgrade my GPU. I'm not sure what would be better than this and still be able to afford it.
I have a budget of 200 or so.
(I do realize alot of the newer cards would need a full redo of my specs, just want to upgrade my pc one thing at a time)

GPU: AMD raedon HD 7700 series, 1gb, gddr5
CPU: AMD FX-6300, 6 core, 3.5mhz
Motherboard: MSI 970 gaming
RAM: Crucial 16GB, ddr3, 800mhz
PSU: Evga 650

Solution
Hey there,

Well, as you've pointed out, now is not a great time to buy a GPU. But with that said there are some options.

Your system however, as is, is gonna bottle neck most decent GPU's. What resolution is your monitor? In terms of upgrading your system, doing it one piece at a time is not really an option as your system is quite dated, and there is zero point in upgrading it within it's own architecture.

Something like a GTX960/GTX1050ti or so, will be an upgrade to your current GPU, but not be really held back by your CPU. But that will only get you so far in modern gaming.
Hey there,

Well, as you've pointed out, now is not a great time to buy a GPU. But with that said there are some options.

Your system however, as is, is gonna bottle neck most decent GPU's. What resolution is your monitor? In terms of upgrading your system, doing it one piece at a time is not really an option as your system is quite dated, and there is zero point in upgrading it within it's own architecture.

Something like a GTX960/GTX1050ti or so, will be an upgrade to your current GPU, but not be really held back by your CPU. But that will only get you so far in modern gaming.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you are lucky you can find a 1050Ti for $100, but be warned, this and the GTX1050 are among the most faked graphics cards. A sneaky BIOS edit to older cards makes them appear to be new cards. If there is no branding, avoid them. And if the branding is only on the fans, another bad sign.

You might also be able to find an RX560 for around $100

GrimmDZ

Reputable
Oct 7, 2019
Hey there,

My monitors are 1920x1080. I definitely had the feeling that I couldn't upgrade one item without upgrading the whole pc. Still wanted to ask in case of that tiny sliver of upgrading just the gpu was there.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 3, 2021
Still wanted to ask in case of that tiny sliver of upgrading just the gpu was there.

CPUs from what I've seen are easier to find and w/ the Ryzen series they're currently more affordable than GPUs are at this point. Have you considered upgrading the motherboard, CPU, and RAM? All three of those together depending on the parts you get would be significantly cheaper than getting a card would be now. Financially, you could also just get one part at a time and hold onto them until you've got everything to make a new build as well.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you set the graphics settings high enough, the CPU becomes less important. FX-6300 is certainly dated, but I have seen people playing Doom Eternal with one and a lower end graphics card. All about the games you play and what your expectations are. More recent titles that need a lot of CPU for multiplayer, like Battlefield 2042, probably out of the question. CS:GO, Rocket League, and other esports titles are well within the capabilities of an FX chip.

Upgrading one part at a time is not good advice. If you can't test all the parts immediately, you don't know if one is broken, and then the return window will lapse. That means dealing with the manufacturer and paying for shipping, possibly both ways, and all the risks that entails.

Additionally, buying parts now, means that when you are looking at newer parts releases, etc you might not be able to take advantage of a sudden price decrease.

Even the most basic of core component replacement is going to come to more than $200, you could do an i5-10th gen build for a little over that, but without a new GPU, it won't help much.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

GrimmDZ

Reputable
Oct 7, 2019
Have you considered upgrading the motherboard, CPU, and RAM?
I had a thought for a few years of just saving money and upgrading my pc all at once, but with how hard it is to find a job I haven't been able to save money that easily. So yeah I have thought about upgrading those 3 too but I can't afford them. I also had an issue with buying one at a time. I got no income right now so if I was to buy a motherboard right now, the next time I'd able to buy another piece would be in a few years max. By that point the motherboard is close to being outdated and there would much better options then. If that thought process is completely wrong, feel free to correct me haha

Reactions: BooTheFearless
Nov 3, 2021
You're all good @GrimmDZ, I feel you. Been in that position as well in the past too and I know it sucks. So, yeah you're definitely in the right mindset for trying to just get a card that's an upgrade to what you've got. That really stinks man, I know it sucks. It wouldn't hurt to try a used card though; perhaps keep your eye on apps like Mercari/Facebook Marketplace for any being sold in your area.

Reactions: GrimmDZ

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I don't know if a 750 ti is compatible with the OP's setup but I was able to play Skyrim and Witcher 3 among a few other games with a I5 750 CPU and a 750ti GPU. It doesn't require any cables be plugged into the PSU either.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrimmDZ

TRENDING THREADS