Question Need to upgrade my processor from i5 7400 to something better

Mar 13, 2020
Current build:
i5 7400
Gtx 1050ti 4gb
16gb DDR4 ram 2400Mhz
550w PSU
h110m-k mobo.

I don't really have a budget because the prices are crazy rn in my country because dollar prices just rose and everyone's raised the prices because of quarantine.
I want better CPU performance at a cheap price. My motherboard supports 6th gen, but since im using a 7th gen rn ig it'll support 7th gens aswell? Meaning my options are i5 7600k, i7 6700, i5 6700k, i7 7700 and i7 7700k. What would be a good option? [my main concern rn is that my cpu has no headroom for things like streaming. Whenever I play a game, even on an emulator, my cpu utilization is very very high, sometimes it hits 100%. My game gets stuttery when people are nearby and sometimes freezes when it hits 100%, even in mobile games like pubgm on emulator].

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i7-7700k-worth-the-upgrade.3622408/#post-21838348
you seem like a pakistani from your name so I can understand your pain, anyway I answered a similar thread you can look at that. 7700K is good but not worth it for how expensive it is in pakistan, if you you don't live here and you can find it for a good price(~$150 Max) then you should get it, it will be a good upgrade and it's really good at gaming.
if your problem is lag during streaming then you should get a better nvidia gpu that has the new nvenc encoder, that will encode your stream instead of your CPU which can reduce load on it while the game fps wont be impacted much while streaming.
If your cpu is going upto 100% and causing stutters regardless, then you should upgrade your cpu.

Reactions: bilalmalik853
Mar 13, 2020
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i7-7700k-worth-the-upgrade.3622408/#post-21838348
you seem like a pakistani from your name so I can understand your pain, anyway I answered a similar thread you can look at that. 7700K is good but not worth it for how expensive it is in pakistan, if you you don't live here and you can find it for a good price(~$150 Max) then you should get it, it will be a good upgrade and it's really good at gaming.
if your problem is lag during streaming then you should get a better nvidia gpu that has the new nvenc encoder, that will encode your stream instead of your CPU which can reduce load on it while the game fps wont be impacted much while streaming.
If your cpu is going upto 100% and causing stutters regardless, then you should upgrade your cpu.
Good observation, I am from Pakistan. Everything decent is overpriced, especially right now. The issues with streaming are due to cpu utilization going up, I think a better processor will fix that. I'll check out the thread you linked. I heard that a b550m motherboard + amd ryzen 3300X is cheaper compared to an i7 7700k, but I have no idea about their prices and availability here, any chance you have an idea? Thanks!

Good observation, I am from Pakistan. Everything decent is overpriced, especially right now. The issues with streaming are due to cpu utilization going up, I think a better processor will fix that. I'll check out the thread you linked. I heard that a b550m motherboard + amd ryzen 3300X is cheaper compared to an i7 7700k, but I have no idea about their prices and availability here, any chance you have an idea? Thanks!
Since you're from pakistan I'll give you a piece of advice: Don't think about 3300X as a cheap option. These vendors are selling it for ~35k or more due to its lack of availability, No internation flights and because it's a "New CPU". That's almost the same price as a R5 3600. I don't see the price of 3300X dropping.
Same thing for b550, there aren't many vendors selling it right now and those that are, sell at a high price. You're better off getting a b450 because the only thing b550 brings is support for CPUs after 2020 and Faster PCIE for storage devices, if those things don't matter to you too much then go for b450. Upcoming Ryzen XT Refreshes(3600XT etc) will be compatible with a b450 and honestly, you wont need a better processor than the 3600XT for gaming for another 2-3 years easily.
BUT even if the 3600XT gets released, until this pandemic situation resolves, I don't expect you to find it for anything below 45k maybe even 50k. The prices for the current CPUs already in the market will probably also not drop until ~6months(or more) because Demand is high(people sitting in home bored) and supply is even less(no internation air flights, only relying on sea routes.)

Mar 13, 2020
Since you're from pakistan I'll give you a piece of advice: Don't think about 3300X as a cheap option. These vendors are selling it for ~35k or more due to its lack of availability, No internation flights and because it's a "New CPU". That's almost the same price as a R5 3600. I don't see the price of 3300X dropping.
Same thing for b550, there aren't many vendors selling it right now and those that are, sell at a high price. You're better off getting a b450 because the only thing b550 brings is support for CPUs after 2020 and Faster PCIE for storage devices, if those things don't matter to you too much then go for b450. Upcoming Ryzen XT Refreshes(3600XT etc) will be compatible with a b450 and honestly, you wont need a better processor than the 3600XT for gaming for another 2-3 years easily.
BUT even if the 3600XT gets released, until this pandemic situation resolves, I don't expect you to find it for anything below 45k maybe even 50k. The prices for the current CPUs already in the market will probably also not drop until ~6months(or more) because Demand is high(people sitting in home bored) and supply is even less(no internation air flights, only relying on sea routes.)
I completely understand but I've been thinking about this for a week now and still haven't gotten to a conclusion. What do you suggest I should do? Theres intel, then theres the amd option with the mobo change. You know the prices better than I do. I think you'll have a better idea. Also you're from Pakistan, right? Any chance I can get your discord or something to make this process easier? I don't know about decent vendors, I've heard complaints against a lot of the famous ones now aswell. Don't really wanna get scammed.

I completely understand but I've been thinking about this for a week now and still haven't gotten to a conclusion. What do you suggest I should do? Theres intel, then theres the amd option with the mobo change. You know the prices better than I do. I think you'll have a better idea. Also you're from Pakistan, right? Any chance I can get your discord or something to make this process easier? I don't know about decent vendors, I've heard complaints against a lot of the famous ones now aswell. Don't really wanna get scammed.
Yes I'm from pakistan. My discord is ?????
if you're not from lahore then I probably wont be able to help you with sellers though.

Last edited: