[SOLVED] Need to upgrade to Windows 10 but how

Oct 5, 2018
i am using my old windows 7 pc and upgrading it with a new processor and all that. Basically I am building my own pc using the old one. The problem is the cPu I am getting does not support Windows 7 but I am planing on upgrading to Windows 10 once I get the computer working I don't know how I would do this if the cpu will not work with Windows 7. Just for clarification I do not have any other processor to use for the installation of Windows 10

Solution

You're likely going to need new RAM with the new motherboard before you can do anything else. Concentrate on that first. Minimum of 8GB, but 16GB (2x8GB) would be preferred.

One question I have had for a while is that my other prebuilt computer is Windows ten and I use it a lot. Would my parents have had to have a Windows lisence to use the computer. And if so would I be able to use it for the one I am building.

Yes. The pre-built computer came with a Windows 10 license. I don't think that...

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're installing a new motherboard as well as the CPU, you're going to want to do a completely fresh install of the OS anyway, so just download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft and run in without activation for as long as necessary.

-Wolf sends

Oct 5, 2018
I am not installing another motherboard unless it is necessary for the cup. Would that effect installing a new os. Another question I have though is what component is the os stored in.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Umm, the hard drive/solid state drive?

What is your old processor and what are you upgrading to? I'm unaware of any motherboard that is compatible with both a CPU that supports Windows 7 and a CPU that doesn't.

Oct 5, 2018

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

How would you know then that you don't need a new motherboard?

If this old PC is more than a year old, you almost certainly need a new motherboard, new DDR4 RAM, and since the old PC was a prebuilt, a new Windows license. Depending on what you had, you may also need a new power supply.

Honestly, I'd recommend checking out a few tutorials on the basic parts of a PC. If you're planning an upgrade on an old PC, knowing what the parts you already have are is *key* information and if you don't know these things, you're not ready to be doing something like this.

Oct 5, 2018

Oct 5, 2018
FYI I already have my power supply installed and I am pretty sure what hfs drive I want to buy for it. I am also looking at ram. And I am still doing research on motherboards and the compatibility with the CPU. I am also only 14 yrs old so you don't have to treat me like I am stupid

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

I'm not treating you like you're stupid, I'm treating you like someone who is missing key information for a project they're working on and advising you to learn how this all works before you make hardware decisions.

But luckily, you totally seem to know everything, so there's clearly no need for me to assist you or interact with you further. Best of luck.

Wolfshadw

Titan

So yes. What motherboard you have will determine what processor you can install. As processors are updated every 12-18 months, and motherboard compatibility only lasts for a generation (CPU update) or two, if you've had your current computer for much more than a year, you will need to purchase a new motherboard and likely new RAM to go with your new CPU.

The OS is installed onto the hard drive. When you switch out major components like the motherboard, however, you will need to perform a fresh install of the OS. Unless you are running Windows 10, associated with a Microsoft Account, you will also need a new Windows license.Your current Windows license cannot be transferred to new hardware.

If you could tell us what components you currently have, we can proceed forward. If it's a store bought computer, you can just ell us the model number and we can go from there.

-Wolf sends

Oct 5, 2018
My New Cpu just got here today and I realize that the compatible chip socket is not the one on my mother board. I am now shoping for a new motherboard and later I am getting a new hard drive. I have also been looking at some RAM. One question I have had for a while is that my other prebuilt computer is Windows ten and I use it a lot. Would my parents have had to have a Windows lisence to use the computer. And if so would I be able to use it for the one I am building.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't use that same license on 2 systems.

Wolfshadw

Titan

You're likely going to need new RAM with the new motherboard before you can do anything else. Concentrate on that first. Minimum of 8GB, but 16GB (2x8GB) would be preferred.

One question I have had for a while is that my other prebuilt computer is Windows ten and I use it a lot. Would my parents have had to have a Windows lisence to use the computer. And if so would I be able to use it for the one I am building.

Yes. The pre-built computer came with a Windows 10 license. I don't think that license can be transferred or used on another computer. Even if it can, you can only use it one one computer at any given time.

-Wolf sends

Solution