[SOLVED] Need to upgrade windows 7 pro 32 bit OA to 64 bit

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Hello. I have an old HP Z400 workstation that I recently obtained. It came with Windows 7 professional OA 32 bit. I recently purchased 20gb of ram to upgrade and of course need to go 64 bit to take advantage of the ram. I have the official windows 7 pro 32 bit, and 64 bit CDs I previously bought so thought I could just put the 64 bit CD in and upgrade... Nope. I will have to check if the HP recovery CD is still around somewhere, but was most likely tossed unfortunately. I have heard that there may be a way to download an ISO to perform the upgrade, but have also heard that this may not work with a preinstalled OA version even though this is a validated licensed windows 7 with COA sticker, etc. Any advice/help would be appreciated! I also thought about simply upgrading to 10 64 bit, but not sure that will even work due to this being OA. Thanks.

Solution
32bit to 64bit is a full wipe and reinstall.
The only way to save your files is to copy them elsewhere first.

Again...full wipe and reinstall. There is no workaround for that.
This is your only path to get from 32-bit to 64-bit. "Upgrading" is not an option. You must perform a full, clean installation of Windows (regardless if 7 or 10).

kanewolf

Titan
Hello. I have an old HP Z400 workstation that I recently obtained. It came with Windows 7 professional OA 32 bit. I recently purchased 20gb of ram to upgrade and of course need to go 64 bit to take advantage of the ram. I have the official windows 7 pro 32 bit, and 64 bit CDs I previously bought so thought I could just put the 64 bit CD in and upgrade... Nope. I will have to check if the HP recovery CD is still around somewhere, but was most likely tossed unfortunately. I have heard that there may be a way to download an ISO to perform the upgrade, but have also heard that this may not work with a preinstalled OA version even though this is a validated licensed windows 7 with COA sticker, etc. Any advice/help would be appreciated! I also thought about simply upgrading to 10 64 bit, but not sure that will even work due to this being OA. Thanks.
There is no upgrade. Just a fresh install.

Reactions: silversmithy

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Okay, thank you. The issue now is even though I own a legitimate Windows 7 professional with both the 32 and 64 bit discs will this recognize the COA key for the Windows pro OA? It is frustrating.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
The windows 7 professional OA 32 bit that is currently installed is linked to the COA on the computer itself. I happen to have a full windows 7 professional with both 32 and 64 bit discs I purchased some time ago, but that has been activated already on a different computer I have. I don't know if that will work.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Update. So I did locate the 3 set recovery dvd's for the HP Z400. DVD #2 I believe shows Windows 7 professional 32/64 bit. So I will basically do a clean install choosing to go with 64 bit as was advised before. Is there any way I can save any of the previous files. I know in the past I did something similar to this and my previous files were saved under a location called "old." Again it's been quite a while so not sure if this will work. Thank you.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
32bit to 64bit is a full wipe and reinstall.
The only way to save your files is to copy them elsewhere first.

Again...full wipe and reinstall. There is no workaround for that.
This is your only path to get from 32-bit to 64-bit. "Upgrading" is not an option. You must perform a full, clean installation of Windows (regardless if 7 or 10).

Reactions: silversmithy
Solution