Need to wipe HDD

flips

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Is it possible to completely wipe my desktops HDD? I only have one HDD in my system otherwise I would know how to do it with two.

Solution

if you're on puppy linux, then right click on the desktop -> system -> gparted partition manager.
after gparted starts select all devices (scan all drives) from the message window click ok.
you'll see your drive(s) under the main toolbar with total capacity preceded by /dev/sda (if you have only the hdd connected).
right click it or select your preferred actions from the menu bar e.g. partition - you can delete, resize partitions, format the disk etc.
since you want to run...
make sure you've backed up yout important data before hdd wiping.
you can try using Darik's Boot and Nuke (commonly known as DBAN).
alternatively, you can download puppy linux, burn the iso on a cd or run it from a usb disk, use that as a boot disk to format your current hdd.
don't forget to back up your data.

yasir siddiqui

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
At first you must backup your data if it is important.

-boot your computer from win xp dvd.
-go to recovery console by pressing "R" key.
-select 1 for going command prompt ( C:\ )
-Type " format C: \q\s\c "
(After quick formatting drive C, type your desired drive letter which drive do you want to format)

flips

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
I got Puppy Linux on a CD and am booted on it currently. Do I have to install a special program for it to wipe my HDD (I want to install Windows 7 on it afterwards) and if so can somebody give me a step by step on how to? Don't really know how to work this OS.

if you go with the puppy linux cd method you can install windows on the hdd afterwards by inserting the windows install cd into the cdrom and by following the instructions accordingly.

if you're on puppy linux, then right click on the desktop -> system -> gparted partition manager.
after gparted starts select all devices (scan all drives) from the message window click ok.
you'll see your drive(s) under the main toolbar with total capacity preceded by /dev/sda (if you have only the hdd connected).
right click it or select your preferred actions from the menu bar e.g. partition - you can delete, resize partitions, format the disk etc.
since you want to run windows later on, delete the existing partition table and format it a few times (you will have to click on the Apply button for the action to take effect). format it to ntfs filesystem.
take out the puppy cd, insert the windows 7 installer disk, reboot, follow the instructions, format the disk to ntfs, follow more instructions, install.
if you want windows 7 info search thg forums
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-63.html
and/or go to microsoft's website, select windows 7 and look for how-to guides.
i hope this helps you a bit.

Solution