[SOLVED] Need to wipe my dual boot WIn10 / Ubuntu and start over : Partition question

johnjtraynor

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2015
Hi. I have an older PC (Acer Aspire E1-470P) which i had upgraded through Win10. I decided to try a dual boot with Ubuntu 18.04. I like it, and decided to reapportion my partition to give Ubuntu more space. I got a USB and put Ubuntu Live on it to boot into to allow me to run gparted. However for some reason my PC wouldn't boot the thumb drive.

At this point I screwed up and I set my boot to "Legacy Boot" and "Secure" (I think), and suddenly I couldn't boot at all. No operating system found.

I took a chance and installed a fresh version of Ubuntu 18.04 along side my old version. The good news is this succeeded. I can access files in both my windows partition and in my first Ubuntu position. The bad news is that I can no longer boot into WIn10 (Grub only gives me old and new Ubuntu install boot options), Old Ubuntu won't boot properly (Chain error) , New Ubuntu doesn't like my second monitor even though the first Ubuntu install did (another story, tried nonodeset etc to no avail) and I am stuck in Legacy BIOS boot mode. I have really messed my partitions and need to reinstall.

I attached images with partition information, but they aren't showing up so here is a dropbox folder containing the partition details from Ubuntu Disks Utility, the images can be found

here http://
I would ask for your assistance in which partitions I can / need to recover to get back to a good install. I plan on reinstalling Ubuntu because I like its speed of operation but I would like to retain my Win10 and Old Ubuntu files. If possible, I would like to get back to a world where I could dual boot Win10 and Ubuntu.

Partition 1: 418 MB. Is this my "new ubuntu" boot partition ... (Grub?)
Part%201.png

Partition 2: 315MB This looks like my EFI partition. Can I get this back?
Part%202.png

Partition 3: Microsoft reserved but only 134 MB. What is this?
Part%203.png

Partition 4: My old Win10 OS and files? 300GB
Part%204.png

Partition 6: BIOS Boot. Only 1MB. What is this?
Part%206.png

Partition 7: My "new ubuntu" install with 161GB
Part%207.png

Partition 5: My "Old Ubuntu" install and files 38GB
Part%205.png

All files image here http://

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Do you want to keep any installed OSs, or you want to start from scratch?
I would boot Windows 10 DVD/USB, repair Windows boot, then boot Linux DVD/USB, re-install GRUB.

johnjtraynor

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2015

Thanks. I had to remove the batteries and HDD to get back into boot menu.