Need translation from ASUS customer service

Rolling Estonian

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
Hello all,

I have an ASUS Q551LN-BBI706. It is 8gb ram upgrade-able to 12 gb. I got different info from Crucial and my task manager and also the device manager. Anyway I sent ASUS an email and got this back.

"One channel with 1x SO DIMM slot support up to 8GB standard DIMM module and one channel with up to 4GB on board (2G: 256Mb*8*8pcs / 4G: 512Mb * 8*8pcs ); total Up to 12GB."

My task manager says 2 of 4 slots are taken and the device manager in processors lists 4x2gb processors..........

So...... To make a long story longer....... If I want to upgrade to 12 gb, is it space for 2x2gb or 1 4gb?

Thanks in advance.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
According to the asus guy, It says 1 SO DIMM Slot support upto 8GB. (That means you can install 8GB one RAM card here). And one channel that supports 4GB of RAMs. Whether that is a single slot or double slot, that channel will support only upto 4 GB.

Here's what to be done. If you are going to replace the RAMs by yourself, remove the enclosure and see whether it has 2 or 3 RAM slots. If it has 2 slots, according to Asus guy, you'll need to install 8GB + 4GB RAMs. If it has 3 slots, You'll need to install 8GB + 2GB +2GB.(What is so odd)

But if it has 4 RAM slots, Install 4GB+ 4GB + 2GB +2GB. Can't say exactly without having a look at it.

Rolling Estonian

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015

Yeah, I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet but was hoping someone has the same laptop and done the upgrade already. All of the info I've gotten has been different.......

Hopefully someone will pipe in who definitely knows.

Thanks.

If you're planning to upgrade the RAM, I assume that you know where the current DIMMs are located? Why not just open up the compartment(s) and see how many slots there are?

A maximum of 12GB RAM doesn't make sense. For that, each DIMM would need to be 3GB in size, assuming that four slots are available, or 6GB assuming that two slots are available. Neither size is available as a single DIMM.

You could be waiting a long time before someone with that exact laptop posts a comment.

Rolling Estonian

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
It never hurts to ask........ And yes, as you can see, things are more confusing........ I just wanted to know what Asus guy meant.....

One channel with 1x SO DIMM slot support up to 8GB standard DIMM module and one channel with up to 4GB on board (2G: 256Mb*8*8pcs / 4G: 512Mb * 8*8pcs ); total Up to 12GB."

mgottier

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
I have this same laptop and received the same cryptic email from Asus support. I did call tech support as well and was able to get a little more clarity so I did go ahead and do the memory upgrade. I removed the bottom and was able to access 1 slot which had a 4gb DIMM. I replaced that with an 8gb DIMM purchased from Amazon. The other 4gb of the original 8gb configuration is soldered to the motherboard and is not user replaceable. After upgrading the 1 DIMM I had the maximum 12gb supported by the laptop. I would have preferred a configuration with 2 slots so I could have gone to 16gb but at least 12gb is better than the default 8gb.

boxdorfere

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

How did you get the back off. I have removed all screws from back..and loosened the back cover but it feels like there is a screw or something I the center holding the back on. I did not want to force it. Any suggestions? I had the same problem....salesmans said oh yea! can upgrade to 16. well with 4 on board, can only go to 12. whatever.. Any help with removing the back would be great! Thanks EB

mgottier

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015

After removing all screws I used a thin piece of plastic and lifted up on 1 side. I then used my hands and slowly pulled. It released and the whole bottom came off. I have done it that way twice - the 1st time to upgrade memory and a 2nd time to replace hard drive with a SSD.

boxdorfere

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015

boxdorfere

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I tried this...trying to be careful. It seems like it is stuck or it is "attached" in the center. Did not want to force it. The "everloving" Geek squad from best buy said because to get to the ram they have to dissemble the laptop and there is a screw that has to be taken out under the keyboard. When I asked him further, he said he actually had not removed the back of this model before. But he saw a video....trying to find that video, but cannot find it. I told him to give me back the laptop and I would do it my self. He was very condescending...He saw an older woman and figured I was clueless. The video found said to remove back as you mentioned and I tried. Asus support is of NO help! Don't want geeky squad touching my computer...bad past experience. I am A+ certified for PC repair (when windows 7 was first around) but never worked on laptops. Only desktops. Maybe I will contact Asus and give them my certification number and they will be more helpful. will try one more time. I was lifting up, I will try sliding is towards the side. Will let you know. Thanks for your assistance

AbsintheSummer

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
The guy at Best Buy is wrong. There is no screw under the keyboard. There is a little clip in the middle to keep it from sagging as all the screws go around the outside. You will not hurt the clip by applying a little pressure- or better yet, use a card to gently ply it up. I've added ram, installed an ssd, and replaced the optical drive with the original hdd (so I have 2 drives). It's not terribly difficult, and you won't hurt anything by using a little pressure to release that middle clip ;) Just remember to push a little in the middle when you replace the cover after you're done.