Question Need Update Advice on my problematic pc...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
Question, I am having an issue where everything lights up with LED, Processor fans spinning though no display until I restart the pc multiple times. I’m thinking that the power supply is fading due to having it for almost 5 years till this date. Plus, can u give me advice on what parts I need to update for it to be highly optimized as a content creation – digital art workstation… (Photoshop, Maya, Adobe suite)

Ryzen 9 3900x on Gigabyte Auros Elite x570 Mobo using a Scythe ninja 5 cooler.

64GB ram (16GB x 2 Crucial Ballistix Ram @ 3000 mhz) + (16GB x 2 G-Skill RipJaw V @ 3200 mhz) overclocked.

Gigabyte 5700 XT

Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD

SeaGate 4TB Hard Drive

Gigabyte ax210 Wifi 6E adapter

Corsair CX Series x750M (750w 80 plus bronze power supply)

I’m thinking of getting the following parts.

960GB – 1TB 2.5 Internal SSD (Samsung or Seagate)

850w – 1000w Power Supply

32GB x 2 DDR4 @ 3600 mhz or 16GB x 2 DDR4 @ 3200

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I think my upgrades will be the following
1TB 2.5 SSD
512GB - 1TB NVE
Fix the ram issue I mixed up
850W - 1000W PSU

@punkncat
OK I went back over all the post that the OP posted.

I see nowhere that it was stated that you had event 41 prior to the first upgrades, were you having problems before these or not?

Did you do a fresh install of windows when you made the first upgrades?

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
@punkncat

I see nowhere that it was stated that you had event 41 prior to the first upgrades, were you having problems before these or not?

Check my reply #13. I don't see the post I quoted unless I missed it, but appears it may have been edited.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Check my reply #13. I don't see the post I quoted unless I missed it, but appears it may have been edited.
Yep I just looked at his replies it's gone now so edited, that puts it into changing information, not listing the true parts what is it the CX or TX V2 power supply = another rabbit hole.

That would put me about where you are try to borrow a friends PSU to confirm or buy a new one but not a refurb.

EDIT when people start editing out information or start a separate post about the same thing it gets confusing and very hard to help at all.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
Yep I just looked at his replies it's gone now so edited, that puts it into changing information, not listing the true parts what is it the CX or TX V2 power supply = another rabbit hole.

That would put me about where you are try to borrow a friends PSU to confirm or buy a new one but not a refurb.

EDIT when people start editing out information or start a separate post about the same thing it gets confusing and very hard to help at all.

The PSU was purchased to use on my 1700x build that’s now been upgraded to a 3900x build, the issue happens when I’m turning on the pc everything lights up and fans spins though no splash screen / windows screen. After 3 to 5 times of press power button again it then comes on. I’ve never had this issue until I upgraded to 3900x, x570 mobo and trying better gpu’s (Radeon VII, 2070 super and now 5700 XT). Link below is exact PSU in my build purchased open box from Microcenter a few years ago.

CORSAIR CX Series Modular CX750M 750W 80 Plus Bronze ATX Power Supply Black CP-9020061-NA - Best Buy

Last edited by a moderator:

InvalidError

Titan
Link below is exact PSU in my build purchased open box from Microcenter a few years ago.
There may have been a reason why it was 'open box' such as the initial owner having issues with it.

Since the PSU worked 'fine' until you upgraded the PSU, it could be that the upgrade has pushed your motherboard+PSU combination beyond the point where it can keep up with transient loads, especially if the PSU got returned because it had similar issues with the previous owner's setup. It could be a defect, it could also be one of those quirky CPU-motherboard-PSU-GPU combinations that isn't meant to be.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
@punkncat

He said this, so problem was before mixing ram. which point was made that mixing ram could give issues.

How do I check for an event 41 and this display issue been happening before ram mixture..

Old green lable with an RX 5700XT might well be psu problem, so getting a better one seems to be good advice.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
After taking you guys info plus seeing a video on youtube that exp
There may have been a reason why it was 'open box' such as the initial owner having issues with it.

Since the PSU worked 'fine' until you upgraded the PSU, it could be that the upgrade has pushed your motherboard+PSU combination beyond the point where it can keep up with transient loads, especially if the PSU got returned because it had similar issues with the previous owner's setup. It could be a defect, it could also be one of those quirky CPU-motherboard-PSU-GPU combinations that isn't meant to be.
The psu is old because I had it since the day I brought the 1700x once I got to 3900x plus implementing more powerful gpus that when I’m had to turn on the pc multiple times to get it to have a display