Question Need Update Advice on my problematic pc...

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
Question, I am having an issue where everything lights up with LED, Processor fans spinning though no display until I restart the pc multiple times. I’m thinking that the power supply is fading due to having it for almost 5 years till this date. Plus, can u give me advice on what parts I need to update for it to be highly optimized as a content creation – digital art workstation… (Photoshop, Maya, Adobe suite)

Ryzen 9 3900x on Gigabyte Auros Elite x570 Mobo using a Scythe ninja 5 cooler.

64GB ram (16GB x 2 Crucial Ballistix Ram @ 3000 mhz) + (16GB x 2 G-Skill RipJaw V @ 3200 mhz) overclocked.

Gigabyte 5700 XT

Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD

SeaGate 4TB Hard Drive

Gigabyte ax210 Wifi 6E adapter

Corsair CX Series x750M (750w 80 plus bronze power supply)

I’m thinking of getting the following parts.

960GB – 1TB 2.5 Internal SSD (Samsung or Seagate)

850w – 1000w Power Supply

32GB x 2 DDR4 @ 3600 mhz or 16GB x 2 DDR4 @ 3200

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I won't say this is THE issue, but it is AN issue. Should not mix RAM technically with anything, but particularly Ryzen.

"64GB ram (16GB x 2 Crucial Ballistix Ram @ 3000 mhz) + (16GB x 2 G-Skill RipJaw V @ 3200 mhz) overclocked."

Edit-
Check event viewer for Event 41. It is often generated as an aspect of unexpected shutdown and can lean towards troubleshooting a problem PSU. It does occur for other manner of unexpected shutdown.
Check through those logs for other high level warnings and search to see if anything points a specific direction.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
How do I check for an event 41 and this display issue been happening before ram mixture..

Type Event Viewer in the search window bottom left. It will open a console and within a few seconds should show you the various errors it has logged. The top two headers are the ones to pay specific attention to.
They will show a brief description and an event code that you can look up to (hopefully) help narrow the issue down.

I cannot recommend upgrading or changing parts on a PC that doesn't work optimally until you have an idea of what and why you are changing the part.

As a tip, if you have any OC/XMP going on, take that off while troubleshooting. I would also check motherboard QVL and see if one of the sets of RAM you have are on it, and use only those while troubleshooting. I would not used mixed set at all until you have a better idea what is causing this. (actually, as above don't recommend it anyway)
Sometimes Ryzen likes to have "fast boot" disabled as well.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
Type Event Viewer in the search window bottom left. It will open a console and within a few seconds should show you the various errors it has logged. The top two headers are the ones to pay specific attention to.
They will show a brief description and an event code that you can look up to (hopefully) help narrow the issue down.

I cannot recommend upgrading or changing parts on a PC that doesn't work optimally until you have an idea of what and why you are changing the part.

As a tip, if you have any OC/XMP going on, take that off while troubleshooting. I would also check motherboard QVL and see if one of the sets of RAM you have are on it, and use only those while troubleshooting. I would not used mixed set at all until you have a better idea what is causing this. (actually, as above don't recommend it anyway)
Sometimes Ryzen likes to have "fast boot" disabled as well.
Yes, I had 7 event 41 (Kernel power incidents) in the past 7 days

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
So I shouldn't be worried

Well too early to call the ball.

The Corsair unit you are using is one of the budget units, in spite of the wattage rating being sufficient for your CPU and GPU. My most common experience with failing or insufficient PSU will be that it simply won't start at all, or would turn off suddenly under load.
It wouldn't be often that someone has a 'good' 600-ish watt unit just laying around to test.

At this point you might consider breadboarding the rig, take it down to as simple a working combination you can and retest if it will start correctly, adding parts in until it doesn't.
It would be really nice if you happen to have any other low power GPU you could use or borrow...like display only level with low power draw.

This can be super frustrating.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
The 3900X isn't a five year old CPU. The motherboard and 5700XT aren't either.
What is the common denominator that you brought across to the new build?

I believe its the psu due to having since the days of the Ryzen 1700x...

I'm currently in the process of buying from a pc tech refurbished power supply for $85 being either the
Cooler Master 1000W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
or
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000 Watts Gold Rate Power Supply

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That shows a TX Power supply it's the V2 actually made by Seasonic about 8 years ago I have one in my 2500K system still runs fine.
Again I would pull that crucial memory out, update your drivers, check your temps before I started just throwing money at it.

OP mentioned above that this was going on even before the mismatch RAM and was happening to prior system(s) for some number of years.
Tough one to troubleshoot, for sure.

I am not sure I see where temps would be the issue from a cold start, no boot. Seems like that issue would kick in on load?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
It does sound like the PSU is having issues to be honest. You said you planned to get a new one anyway? Get a decent 850W unit. Sell your old RAM as two separate kits, and buy a 3600Mhz 64GB kit if you're serious about using it as a digital workstation. Maya will love all that RAM, and Photoshop would as well if you're dealing with ultra-high resolution photographs or billboards.

You didn't mention a budget, so I guess work is paying? If so then since you have 2 NVMe slots it would be good to get 2 drives, one for project folders and assets and one for the OS and software. The Samsung 980 Pro would be the fastest drive you could put in there, and I'd get a 1TB drive for OS and software, and a 2TB drive for projects and assets.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
OP mentioned above that this was going on even before the mismatch RAM and was happening to prior system(s) for some number of years.

I am not sure I see where temps would be the issue from a cold start, no boot. Seems like that issue would kick in on load?
I missed that part and yes temps should be under load.

This would be another mistake NEVER buy a refurb PSU it has already failed one time.

I'm currently in the process of buying from a pc tech refurbished power supply for $85 being either the
Cooler Master 1000W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

Stated he had a CX power supply but listed a TX V2 made by seasonic it's been so long I forget the standard they used on them.
EDIT from Amazon page for what that is worth.
TX750 V2 ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019

It's definetly the psu since I had a Radeon VII, 2070 Super, 2060 KO and now my 5700
It does sound like the PSU is having issues to be honest. You said you planned to get a new one anyway? Get a decent 850W unit. Sell your old RAM as two separate kits, and buy a 3600Mhz 64GB kit if you're serious about using it as a digital workstation. Maya will love all that RAM, and Photoshop would as well if you're dealing with ultra-high resolution photographs or billboards.

You didn't mention a budget, so I guess work is paying? If so then since you have 2 NVMe slots it would be good to get 2 drives, one for project folders and assets and one for the OS and software. The Samsung 980 Pro would be the fastest drive you could put in there, and I'd get a 1TB drive for OS and software, and a 2TB drive for projects and assets.

I'm willing to spend under $300 - $500 in upgrades, based on the info you've guys given the PSU being the oldest piece is the common denominator..

TRENDING THREADS