Need Updating Game System Advice; Healthy Budget and Rampage IV MB

huskylawyer

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
So my old Vista gaming rig has finally died on me. Though I'm sure I could fix it, time to upgrade anyways. So today I picked up a Rampage IV Extreme Motherboard. Need advice on what to add to it.

I currently have the following from the OLD RIG

2x NvIdian 9800 GTX in SLI (plan to ditch these obviously)
CoolerMaster Case (plan to keep if the the motherboard fits)
LG Blu-Ray (keeping)
Sony Multi-DVD/RW (keeping)
CoolerMaster 1000W power supply (keeping)
Seagate Raptor HD (plan to keep but want to add another one)
4x OCZ DDR3-1333 Dual CH 1GB Ram (Plan to Ditch)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz (Plan to Ditch - does this have any resale value?)

So what do I need in the mid to high level range? Specifically:

CPU?
Graphics Card? (prever Nvidia)
CPU Cooler? (I have an old CoolerMaster but wasn't all that happy with it)
Hard Drive (for OS and games)

Also, what operating system do you suggest? I hear such bad things about Windows 8. The old computer was Vista (64). My Lenova x230 is Windows 7 and I generally like it. Should I stick with Windows 7?

I'm mostly playing online roleplay games and use MS Office Suite business apps (Word). Not an intensive user, but I want stability and the ability to play the latest MMOs on close to max setting.

Thanks in advance. Need advice soon as I'm missing out on my gaming!

bignastyid

Titan
Whats the budget? What country will you be buying the parts in? Overclocking? If yes how much? For the PSU Coolermaster is hit and miss with power supplies in terms of quality, find you model in this list http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx. If its tier 4 or 5 I would suggest replacing it.

huskylawyer

Distinguished
May 16, 2012

Great questions. Will buy in the U.S. from newegg or the local Frys. I won't overclock. As for budget, would like the CPU to be under $400 (unless someone convinces me otherwise). Gaming card under $500. Thanks.

bignastyid

Titan
The only socket 2011 cpu you'l get below $400 is the i7 3820
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115229
GPU
GTX 670 or 680 since you wanted to stay with Nvidia, But it may be worth waiting for a video card as its rumored Nvidia is going to be releasing a refresh of the Kelper series and/or a Titan Lite card in a month or 2. You could get the cpu now(since ivy-bridge-e wont be out for awhile longer) then just use your current cards for another month hopefully by the end of may more will be known if the rumor is true or not.

huskylawyer

Distinguished
May 16, 2012

Thanks. Is the Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz worth it? A pretty penny. I like my computers to last at least 4 years, so I suppose this should hold me over. -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

I'm not a Nvidia fanbois, so I suppose I could go with ATI. Keep the suggestions coming!