[SOLVED] Need urgent help, no video and no detection of video card.

Nov 10, 2019
Hello, i just built a new gaming rig and im having a lot of trouble getting it to work properly.

Specs are as follows:
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU: i9-9900k
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz CL16 (2x16GB)
GPU: EVGA RXT 2080Ti XC Ultra
PSU: Be quiet Straight Power 11 750W (temporary, waiting for my Seasonic Prime Platinum 850W to arrive)
Boot drive: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB

The problem is relatively simple: im getting no signal from the video card, doesnt matter if its through HDMI or DP. Everything runs just fine if i take the 2080Ti out of the PC and run it just from the IGPU, zero problems, instant boot. The 2080Ti is fine, i used it for the past month with my old rig and it was running perfectly okay, i also tested it in another rig today and it worked. I also plugged in a 1060 6GB in the new rig and it also runs perfectly fine with no issues, got instant video via DP. I tested the power cable, PSU, i tried if the card is seated in the PCIE slot correctly, nothing helped. I uptaded mobo's bios, no change.
If i plug the 2080Ti in the second PCIE slot and clear CMOS, im able to get video from onboard HDMI, but the card itself doesnt show up in BIOS, it doesnt show up in device manager, and if i try to install GeForce experience, it says i have no Nvidia GPU plugged it. All of that is quite weird because card's RGB is lit up, the fans are spinning and the backplate is getting warm when i touch it over the die. I also tried switching preferred video output in BIOS to IGFX and booting with the 2080Ti in the first PCIE slot, but in this case im unable to get any video, neither from the 2080Ti nor from the mobo's HDMI.
I tried flashing card's bios, but i was unable to do so due to it not being detected by the system in any way when its in the second slot (and im unable to tell if its detected when its in the first one as i cant get any video then).
I totally run out of ideas, everything is fine by itself. The 2080Ti is fine and working in another rig. Mobo's PCIE slot is fine too, as it works perfectly fine with the 1060 plugged in. PSU seems to be fine as well as the power cable, as its the same one i use to power up 1060 when its in. I dont think RAM or CPU is any issue here, as there is completely no problems when running the rig with 1060 or with no video card at all. The only other issue i encountered here is that i actually have TWO Samsung SSDs, and while one is working just fine as boot drive, the other one is not being detected at all.

Hope you guys can help me, i've been waiting to build this rig for weeks and now its not working, its driving me insane.

Solution
So let's break this down with what you already know:

1. With no graphics card installed, the PC boots fine.
  2. With the GTX 1060 installed, the PC boots fine.
  3. With the RTX 2080Ti, you get no boot.
  4. With the RTX 2080Ti installed in another system, the card works fine.

Stop messing around with the IGFX setting in BIOS and reset it to Auto. Unless you're going to be using it AFTER you get your graphics card issue resolved, there's no point in messing with it. You already know that the integrated graphics work.

To me, this is clearly a power supply issue. Do you have BOTH 8-pin power cables connected to the graphics card?

1. Are you using the two 12v P4 CPU Power cables or the one 12v P8 CPU Power cable?
  2. Since the...

Mahisse

Distinguished
I also tried switching preferred video output in BIOS to IGFX and booting with the 2080Ti in the first PCIE slot, but in this case im unable to get any video, neither from the 2080Ti nor from the mobo's HDMI.

IGFX is integrated graphics. You won't get an output from the card if you set it to IGFX. PEG is PCI Express so I guess that is what you should select. In my experience it's best just to leave at Auto on the Gigabyte motherboards.

I would start from scratch. Take out the GPU, perhaps even clear CMOS again. Boot up in safe mode from the intergrated graphics. Completely uninstall all graphics driver. Perhaps use Guru3D Display Driver Remover to make sure everything is uninstalled correctly.
Update BIOS. Did you do this yet? Fairly easy with Gigabyte's BIOS tool.
Shut down. Plug in the card. Boot up still using integrated graphics and install the drivers for the card if you can (the PC can see the card). Shut down after installation. Switch cable to GPU and boot.

Sounds to me it's driver conflict or a BIOS out of date.

Nov 10, 2019
I know, but i was choosing it because i wanted to boot into windows using IGFX while having the GPU plugged in, but it was impossible. Whenever the GPU was in the 1st PCIE slot i was unable to get video from ANY of outputs in the PC.

This is a fresh build with none of its parts used before (but the GPU) so there were no drivers on it. I updated Mobo's bios already.

Quick update: I did what you said in the exact order and i managed to boot into windows with the GPU plugged in in the 1st PCIE slot, but i had to choose IGFX and switch it to "Enable" instead of "Auto" in Bios. Then i went into windows and tried to install drivers for the card (got the latest one form EVGA website) and i got an error saying that the driver is not compatibile with this version of windows (im running W10 Home 64bit) or it couldnt find any video device. Here we come to what i said before - the PC boots, i get video from the IGFX, the GPU itself is getting warm and ligthing up, fans are spinning, but it is not detected by windows or bios in any way, while another card is being detected no problem in it's place and it is being detected when plugged into another system. No idea what's wrong here.

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
So let's break this down with what you already know:

1. With no graphics card installed, the PC boots fine.
  2. With the GTX 1060 installed, the PC boots fine.
  3. With the RTX 2080Ti, you get no boot.
  4. With the RTX 2080Ti installed in another system, the card works fine.

Stop messing around with the IGFX setting in BIOS and reset it to Auto. Unless you're going to be using it AFTER you get your graphics card issue resolved, there's no point in messing with it. You already know that the integrated graphics work.

To me, this is clearly a power supply issue. Do you have BOTH 8-pin power cables connected to the graphics card?

1. Are you using the two 12v P4 CPU Power cables or the one 12v P8 CPU Power cable?
  2. Since the card requires two 6+2 PCIe power connectors, are you using the 1 cable with two outputs or two separate cables?
  3. Have you tried using two separate PCIe Power ports from the power supply?

-Wolf sends

Reference:
NVidia Geforce RTX 2080Ti Specs
BeQuiet StraitPower 11 750w
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master specifications page

Solution
Nov 10, 2019
With the RTX 2080Ti installed in another system, the card works fine.

Yeah, funnily enough the PSU in that system is an old 750W Chieftec.

2. Since the card requires two 6+2 PCIe power connectors, are you using the 1 cable with two outputs or two separate cables?
  3. Have you tried using two separate PCIe Power ports from the power supply?

Yes, i have both 8 pins connected. I'm using the cable that is a single 12-pin on the PSU side and splits in two 6+2 pins on the GPU side. Just for the record, i tried using two other cables that EACH use one 12-pin plug on the PSU side and they both go into 6+2 in GPU, no difference at all.

1. I have two 8-pin cables plugged into two BOTTOM P4 (actual 8-pins, as far as i am concerned) that are labeled as PCIE 1 and PCIE 2, they are going into two CPU plugs on the mobo.
  2. Im using the one cable with two outputs, but i also tried the two separate, it didnt help.
  3. I did, but maybe it will help if i play with that for a little bit?

I'll mess around with the cables, try different configurations and ill let you know what happens.

Nov 10, 2019
Another one to clear stuff up for you:

I have my motherboard plugged into the red and SATA for one SSD (currently plugegd out) and fan controllers/hubs in the blue.

Then i have two CPU cables (there were no other cables that were labeled as CPU) plugged into green, both plugged into CPU plugs on the mobo.

Most of my trying of the 2080Ti was with the single cable splitting into two 6+2 plugged into yellow, but i have also tried using two separate cables plugged in yellow and purple, it didnt work (i will try again though). Note that whenever i plug in the 1060, i use only one of the single 6+2 cables plugged into purple to power it.
ddCxdlp.png

Quick Edit: i think that the PC is actually booting with the 2080Ti in, as the mobo's digital display shows "A0 (IDE Initialization is started)" code (might also be AD - which is "Issue Ready To Boot event for OS Boot"), and the same is displayed when I'm in windows and everything us running fine from the 1060 or IGFX. Makes me think that it is actually booting and the 2080Ti is working and detected, but for some reason it is refusing to give any video output while used. My friend suggested it might be an issue with card's bios and that reflashing it with NVFlash could help... maybe?

Edit 2: No its not. I just realized that my motherboard has 4 LEDs in the bottom right corner which indicate status of certain parts, and according to manual, if one is lit up then it means that the corresponding device is not working properly.
Guess what - the one labeled "VGA" is glowing red. Of course disappears if i plug in the 1060 or go in with IGFX.

Please help me, im seriously out of ideas XD I will be going to my friend's soon to test it all with another PSU, and maybe flash the BIOS of the 2080ti

Last edited:

Mahisse

Distinguished
I know, but i was choosing it because i wanted to boot into windows using IGFX while having the GPU plugged in, but it was impossible. Whenever the GPU was in the 1st PCIE slot i was unable to get video from ANY of outputs in the PC.

This is a fresh build with none of its parts used before (but the GPU) so there were no drivers on it. I updated Mobo's bios already.

Quick update: I did what you said in the exact order and i managed to boot into windows with the GPU plugged in in the 1st PCIE slot, but i had to choose IGFX and switch it to "Enable" instead of "Auto" in Bios. Then i went into windows and tried to install drivers for the card (got the latest one form EVGA website) and i got an error saying that the driver is not compatibile with this version of windows (im running W10 Home 64bit) or it couldnt find any video device. Here we come to what i said before - the PC boots, i get video from the IGFX, the GPU itself is getting warm and ligthing up, fans are spinning, but it is not detected by windows or bios in any way, while another card is being detected no problem in it's place and it is being detected when plugged into another system. No idea what's wrong here.

Can you easily switch the PSU around from the other computer? Would be good if you could rule out the possibility for the PSU. Might be you bended a pin or two..

A quick search on google for that motherboard regarding not able to detect GPU shows there a couple of threads with no real solution. Just strange your other card would work then.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019
Not really. I will recieve my Seasonic Prime 850W tomorrow though so I will be able to test that out.

But also something new happened. The display showed a D3 code which means "some of the architectural protocols are not available", and also the VGA led in bottom right of my mobo is glowing red, which, according to the manual, means that the graphics card is not working normally. I also noticed that my motherboard is using its backup bios instead of the main one. Should I switch the bios switch on the mobo and use the main one instead?

Another update edit: switching bios on mobo did nothing. Same with fiddling with the power cables. I tested multiple configurations (Not all though) and 1060 worked in all of them, on every power cable plugged in any socket on PSU, while the 2080Ti worked on none. Then either one of the +2 thingies on 6+2 plugs is broken, or its not the PSU. On the other hand when i tried to plug in the 2080Ti in my friends PC with just one 6+2 it gave me video and there was a big popup (Before getting to bios even) which told me to connect power plugs to the GPU. I turned it off, plugged second one in and then it worked no problem at all. My guess would be then that the PSU is fine, same with all the plugs and sockets, and the problem is somewhere between the 2080Ti and the freshly made system, not in the mobo itself though.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019
Another update: I tested the card, my rig and PSU with my friend's. We ran my 2080Ti in his rig with my PSU, works just fine (so my Bequiet PSU is not the problem). Same when we put his 2070 in my rig, zero problems at all.
Then literally the only problem that is left in my mind is some kind if weird conflict between card's BIOS and something inside my PC.
I noticed something weird though. With my 2080Ti inside my friends PC all works fine. I checked in GPU-Z and the bios number is 90.02.17.00.DC, which after some googling seems to be bios of an Asus card, not EVGA. Right now we're trying to flash the card's bios with one made for XC Ultra, hope it helps.

EDIT
We successfully flashed cards bios with a proper one. It fixed some weird stuff I was experiencing with it back in the day in my old system, but it didnt resolve the main issue with the current system. Seems like we tested literally any fix, solution and idea that anyone here on this forum or anywhere else had, and nothing worked. Looks like there is just some retarded conflict between my mobo and GPU that occurs due to a reason noone of us is able to determine.
Guess I'll just be returning one of these in hopes that replacement will fix it.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019
Update on the topic: i tried literally everything, i talked to EVGA and Gigabyte support, i tried a lot of fixes and troubleshoots, yet nothing helped.
Today, i finally managed to get in touch with the seller (he didnt have any in stock before), returned the card and exchanged it for a Zotac AMP (brand new one though, compared to the fact that the EVGA was used) and it gives me completely zero issues, runs smoothly while also maintaning lower temps and noise levels.
For anyone reading this in the future and trying to solve similiar problem - just return the GPU and exchange it for another model (maybe even another piece of the same model might work just fine, i dont know). Nothing besides that was able to solve my issue, and it seems that the motherboard is perfectly fine.

Thank you everyone for attempting to help anyway, i really appreciate that <3