Question Need urgent help with PSU wattage. ( not calculating )

Dec 14, 2019
I run a i5-9400F

2060 6 gb

16 gb of ram

a HDD and SSD along with keyboard, mouse, headset, monitor and 3 fans (excluding the CPU fan).

My power supply unit is 350W. When i game, it uses near 100% and sometimes even 100%. I've already bought a new one that will work with my system but it will come in two weeks time. What do i risk by still using my PSU till then?

bioax

Upstanding
Nov 30, 2019
350W is way too low for your system, and I would recommend at least 600W. I’m not an expert on PSUs, and my recommendation may also be too low. All I know is that it is way too low.
You should just not use the computer until your new psu arrives.

mangaman

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
What PSU did you buy as a replacement?

Also, if the 350w PSU is a low quality brand or some cheap Chinese one, running it at 100% will most likely fry itself along with taking out your entire system all together. Even just using a low quality PSU can fry your entire system.

clutchc

Titan
Herald
A system with a RTX 2060 needs at least a (good quality) 480W PSU, maybe more depending on exactly which RTX you have. If your 350W is a decent make/model, you can get by in the meantime as long as you don't use the gfx card under heavy load (such as gaming). I would get at least a 550W unit myself.

NightHawkRMX

Illustrious
I run a i5-9400F

2060 6 gb

16 gb of ram

a HDD and SSD along with keyboard, mouse, headset, monitor and 3 fans (excluding the CPU fan).

My power supply unit is 350W. When i game, it uses near 100% and sometimes even 100%. I've already bought a new one that will work with my system but it will come in two weeks time. What do i risk by still using my PSU till then?
350w is nowhere near enough for that combo, even if it is a decent PSU. I also assume you are using a MOLEX to PCIe or SATA to PCIe adapter, which are very very damage.

You risk every component in your PSU, and every device plugged into your PC (like a cellphone)
If a PSU fails due to overload or otherwise, anything downstream can be damaged.

I suggest you wait until your new PSU arrives.
I dont know much about that unit, but i bet its much, much better than a 350w unit.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS