[SOLVED] Need urgent help.

arthurjoshua

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
Hey guys! I'm completely devastated at the moment. I just bought myself a new pc and started playing on it awhile ago, but i noticed that there was a wire that was way too close to my gpu. i was afraid that since my gpu would run at 75 degrees under load, that wire would get burned or something, and true enough when i took a look at it, part of the wire that was near the gpu started turning from black to white, so i tried yanking the wire, in hopes of repositioning it or making it so that it wouldnt stick to the gpu that much, however, in my attempt to pull it out, i think i may have broken it, because what i got was a wire with tons of pin like heads on it, and i couldnt even plug it back. im not quite sure what the cable is for since i powered on my pc, and so far everything works just the same. the slot it was plugged into is right underneath the 24 pin (?) slot for the PSU. my motherboard is an asus-ex b460m. does anyone know what's for, and if there's anything i can do to fix it?

Reactions: Baileyclarke
Solution
oh man i really screwed that up. shouldve thought twice about it. it just felt so urgent since the damn cable was literally getting roasted. is that part really important? i mean what do i lose without that cable?
It just powers the front USB plugs on the case, no big deal to most people.

arthurjoshua

Honorable
Dec 4, 2015
That is the USB 3.2 cable that goes to the front of the case, no way to fix it that I know of.

I would turn off the PC, unplug the power supply, and see if you can unplug the connector.
oh man i really screwed that up. shouldve thought twice about it. it just felt so urgent since the damn cable was literally getting roasted. is that part really important? i mean what do i lose without that cable?

hi! any advise or help would be much appreciated. i'm really flustered right now :(
It looks like that might be a USB connector that connects to front panel USB ports. Sounds like you mangled the connector. The connector usually comes pre-wired with the case so fixing it isn't always easy; if so a shop might hit you pretty hard for the fix. It may even be cheaper to get a new/different case and move everything to that (assuming you do it.)

If you don't need the front panel USB ports just put tape on them and a big sign to remind you what you did so you never do it again.

Tuck it out of the way, it was part of the case and difficult to fix.
You can buy a card to replace the USB port or a rear panel port that will plug into MB where cable was.
note* the insulation on wire will not melt at 100 degrees C