[SOLVED] Need very cheap power supply reccomendation

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hello everyone. I've gotten into the hobby of PC flipping, and I'm challenging myself to build a very cheap ($150-175 USD)build with used parts... here's what I have so far:
Core i5-750
Zotac GTX 650 TI 1gb
H57H-AM2 micro atx 1156 board
I'm planning on getting:
a single 8gb stick of DDR3
RGB cooler
2 molex fans
500gb SATA 7.2k rpm 500gb HDD

So my question is: what power supply should I get? My budget for the power supply is about $28 with shipping. I need it to have one 6-pin, a few molex and sata, a 4-pin CPU connector, and a 20+4 pin motherboard connector. I've seen a bunch of sketchy "Hercules 600w dual fan power supplies" ( https://tinyurl.com/t86y4dh ) and some other sketchy brands like Venus and stuff. Should I get one of these? I want this build to last for a bit... a year or two at the least. I am going to resell it, after all.
Thanks!

Solution
Its will be very hard to get a name brand PSU at that price.

For $35 you can get a new EVGA N1 400w. This unit is not 80+ nor is it good, but it is adaquate for a 750ti. It has a 6+2 pin.

If you look used, you can get used OEM PSUs from companies like FSP and Delta or even OEM seasonic units that are of good enough quality.

Delta 475w 80+ Bronze with a 6 pin PCIe connector for $15. This does use a propriatary 18 pin motherboard connector that needs an adapter tho.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
remind me not to buy PC from OP .. lol.. its crazy to throw a garbage PSU in any machine, let alone to do it and resell the thing.. pretty sketchy lol
I’ve seen a couple people do it... crazy stuff. This guy threw a way sketchy 285w power supply in a system with a 1050 and i5 and it survived a full day of stress testing, that’s why I’m asking if it just might be okay.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well , 'Ok" is a wide used term.. just because it may work, dont mean it is good,.. personally in my opinion the PSU is pretty much the back bone of the system. it shouldn't be skimped on . at least get 80+ Gold certified, but even those can often differ greatly from company to company id think. I wouldn't want to trust a cheap PSU with anything worth having

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
well , 'Ok" is a wide used term.. just because it may work, dont mean it is good,.. personally in my opinion the PSU is pretty much the back bone of the system. it shouldn't be skimped on . at least get 80+ Gold certified, but even those can often differ greatly from company to company id think. I wouldn't want to trust a cheap PSU with anything worth having
I’m shooting for an antec, evga, or maybe thermaltake PSU at 80+ bronze

For $35 you can get a new EVGA N1 400w. This unit is not 80+ nor is it good, but it is adaquate for a 750ti. It has a 6+2 pin.

If you look used, you can get used OEM PSUs from companies like FSP and Delta or even OEM seasonic units that are of good enough quality.

Delta 475w 80+ Bronze with a 6 pin PCIe connector for $15. This does use a propriatary 18 pin motherboard connector that needs an adapter tho.

Solution

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019

I really like the idea of OEM psus! I might be able to put like a black paper wrapping over the non-ventelated areas to add to the look too! Thanks! I might go with that!

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
https://www.ebay.com/itm/wp02-HP-Z4...499370?hash=item1efb0617aa:g:6~oAAOSwqMZc5XRo
Forgot to link it.

Need the reverse of this cable​
No problem.
I might keep searching for these 2 reasons:
  1. That power supply looks really dusty on the inside and I don’t have the courage to clean it.
  2. I don’t really want to have to get adapters
I’ll think about it.

Hello everyone. I've gotten into the hobby of PC flipping, and I'm challenging myself to build a very cheap ($150-175 USD)build with used parts... here's what I have so far:
Core i5-750
Zotac GTX 650 TI 1gb
H57H-AM2 micro atx 1156 board
I'm planning on getting:
a single 8gb stick of DDR3
RGB cooler
2 molex fans
500gb SATA 7.2k rpm 500gb HDD

So my question is: what power supply should I get? My budget for the power supply is about $28 with shipping. I need it to have one 6-pin, a few molex and sata, a 4-pin CPU connector, and a 20+4 pin motherboard connector. I've seen a bunch of sketchy "Hercules 600w dual fan power supplies" ( https://tinyurl.com/t86y4dh ) and some other sketchy brands like Venus and stuff. Should I get one of these? I want this build to last for a bit... a year or two at the least. I am going to resell it, after all.
Thanks!

You could have just bought a used i7 4770K HP workstation from ebay for 100-120$ and put a low power GPU in it. It would have been a much better system which could play recent games at medium settings. Some come with decent 480W 80 plus standard PSUs. You would have saved time and got a better system.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
You could have just bought an i7 4770K HP workstation from ebay for 100-120$ and put a low power GPU in it. It would have been a much better system which could play recent games at medium settings.
Really? Whenever I search for desktops I can never find one as good and low priced as that one.
The thing I don’t like about that one is that it most likely has a proprietary board so I can’t do a case swap. Looks matter about as much as performance when’s selling PCs tbh, at least in my experience
Edit: I just did a search for “hp workstation” and there are no good ones at that price range.

Really? Whenever I search for desktops I can never find one as good and low priced as that one.
The thing I don’t like about that one is that it most likely has a proprietary board so I can’t do a case swap. Looks matter about as much as performance when’s selling PCs tbh, at least in my experience
Some of them have large cases. I had a Q9550 HP workstation in which I put a TX850W PSU and an HD 5970. It came with a standard 480W 80+ PSU. The default case did fit all my components and I was able to OC the CPU and RAM using SetFSB.

It was this one:

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Some of them have large cases. I had a Q9550 HP workstation in which I put a TX850W PSU and an HD 5970. It came with a standard 480W 80+ PSU. The default case did fit all my components and I was able to OC the CPU and RAM using SetFSB.
I don’t care about size, I just wanted to swap it to a case with better airflow and looks... sells better

I don’t care about size, I just wanted to swap it to a case with better airflow and looks... sells better

If a nice looking hazardous PC is what you want then yeah but don't cheap on the PSU as it might explode and physically hurt customers or burn their house, they might sue you so you will loose money in the end. I already had an Antec PSU sparking and fire came out of the back because my friend cheaped on his PSU.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
If a nice looking hazardous PC is what you want then yeah but don't cheap on the PSU as it might explode and physically hurt customers or burn their house, they might sue you so you will loose money in the end. I already had an Antec PSU sparking and fire came out of the back because my friend cheaped on his PSU.
Sorry if I didn’t explain well, I’m building a PC with used parts. The budget for this PC is $150... but may raise to $175 for a good power supply. I’m challenging myself because I need a good mixture of looks and functionality because (in my experience) that sells the best.
I’m still deciding on if I should go all out on a nice gold power supply or stay with an 80 + bronze gray box.

Sorry if I didn’t explain well, I’m building a PC with used parts. The budget for this PC is $150... but may raise to $175 for a good power supply. I’m challenging myself because I need a good mixture of looks and functionality because (in my experience) that sells the best.
I’m still deciding on if I should go all out on a nice gold power supply or stay with an 80 + bronze gray box.
Delta makes good low price 80 Plus Bronze PSUs they have 480W, I had it with an OCed Q9550 and an 8800GTS. You can find them under 30$.

If you can find them locally on Kijiji or a store, they would be cheaper. Here is one on ebay for 25$:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/153094344458

Last edited:

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
Never cheap out on a psu.I got a cheap psu on speciall and it was fine for my 1050ti till i got a 1070ti now i have to spend a few dollars more to get a good psu(in my currency it's R1529 in dollars that's 109 usd)Yep we are overpriced.Rather add a good enough psu over rgb and bs like that.I know rgb sells and i have rgb but did i built it cause of rgb?hell no my case came with 3rgb fans and my cooler with 2.It just fell into place but i hate rgb

Reactions: Insane Potatoz

TRENDING THREADS