Need WiFi Help

davisch1

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Looking for some help with potentially boosting my wireless speed or making it more stable. I recently moved into the first floor of an apartment for the summer. My downstairs apartment picks up the wifi, but speeds bounce from 1mb/s download to up to 60 mb/s. My computer is running an ASUS PCE AC56 wireless card with two antennas. I'm wondering if there is any way to boost my signal through the use of a router or something along those lines. I have no access to the main router itself. Also worth mentioning, there is a cable outlet right next to my computer. So maybe I could run internet through there somehow? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Solution
Relative to your PC, where is the WIFI source? Above you? If so, that is part of the problem. WIFI is designed to radiate horizontally more than vertically.

A coax cable could benefit you if you were permitted to hook a MOCA adapter to main router and get it down to your apartment. You might be able to use a powerline adapter to get connectivity.

kanewolf

Titan
Relative to your PC, where is the WIFI source? Above you? If so, that is part of the problem. WIFI is designed to radiate horizontally more than vertically.

A coax cable could benefit you if you were permitted to hook a MOCA adapter to main router and get it down to your apartment. You might be able to use a powerline adapter to get connectivity.

Solution

davisch1

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
My WiFi is upstairs, I believe on the second floor. I am on the first floor. I looked into MOCA adapters but figured that's not an option since you need one for the main router as well, which i win don't have access to.