Need Wired Router For Sealed Network Box

rcthrsn

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I just bought a new house, which comes with Ethernet wiring built into several of the rooms. I'm learning a lot about home network setup -- there's a small network box built into the wall of one of the closets, which seems to be where the ISP's "hot" coaxial connection comes through, and also bears all of the house's Ethernet cable connectors.

This is a *small* hole in the wall, and is sealed with a metal plate. I'd like to put a small 4-5 port router into the network box along with the cable modem, route the signal like so:

ISP -> Modem -> Wired Router -> WiFi Router

My question is: What would be a good wired router for this purpose? I'm not doing anything outstanding on my home network - looking for something cheap, compact, and effective.

Thanks for all of your help.

(Here's a picture, I'm aware that this is an awful arrangement, the goal is to get a smaller router so I can close it all up)
NnV5bFP.jpg

Solution
Can you extend the coax to another room easily.

You could then place the modem/router in any room and then connect 1 lan port from the router to the wall to take the signal back to the cabinet. In the cabinet you would place a 4 or 8 port switch depending on how many jacks you have. If you are lucky this room would also provide good wireless coverage for your house.

With it as tight as it is you might want to consider a new modem with a router built in. It should be about the size of your current modem. You would want to run your remote router as a AP rather than a router just to make things simpler but you can run it as a router if you want.
Can you extend the coax to another room easily.

You could then place the modem/router in any room and then connect 1 lan port from the router to the wall to take the signal back to the cabinet. In the cabinet you would place a 4 or 8 port switch depending on how many jacks you have. If you are lucky this room would also provide good wireless coverage for your house.

With it as tight as it is you might want to consider a new modem with a router built in. It should be about the size of your current modem. You would want to run your remote router as a AP rather than a router just to make things simpler but you can run it as a router if you want.

Solution

rcthrsn

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Taking the modem out of the box is a good idea. Not sure it's feasible to extend the coax, the box is in a closet off of a bathroom off of the main bedroom. May need to change the hot coax point if that's possible.

rcthrsn

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Actually, you're a genius, thank you. Going to get a coax extender and connect the hot wire to a hallway coax connection and work it that way. Thanks for everything!