[SOLVED] Need Your Advice On Thermal Paste And Voltages And MSI Afterburner reading wrong temp inputs on CPU

Oct 21, 2021
Hello! So during this GPU crisis I had managed to get my hands on an Asus GTX 1080Ti Turbo (although I ' d have liked the supercharged edition... just kidding xD) . It only has one blower - just like the reference card. Performance wise I am very , very , very satisfied (coming from 1600x900 on a GTX 970 to a 2k HDR display and a 1080ti) , I had even overclocked with 150 Mhz and 250 Mhz the core clock and memory clock (although they tend to go down by ever 5 mhz for 20-25 mhz by themselves to re-adjust probably, I don't know) and in Uningine SuperPosition I got 5.9k points! (1080p extreme preset). Only problem I've got - the temps are out of the roof (the guy I bought it from used it for mining ). From what I had found online, the max safe temp is 84C. When I leave the fan on auto in MSI Afterburner, the temps go over 85, highest I got was 92!!!!!!!! I usually play with the fan on 80% capacity (and that little OC) and even with 80% at all times it still struggles to stay below 80, sometimes reaching the 84 limit... What thermal paste should I use to replace the old one? Or it won't even matter? I had never bought thermal paste in my life and don't with what type or brand I should replace the manufacturer one. (Although I am quite confident I can replace it successfully).
Another thing I want to ask you - what does turning the voltage up in MSI Afterburner do, and is it a stupid thing to do ONLY AFTER I will have the thermal paste replaced? I've got a 1kW PSU from ASUS and a mobo that is quite capable of handling OC , it even OC s my CPU from its standard 3.7Ghz to 4.9Ghz on all 10 cores without me inputting or telling it to so ! (it's a ASUS Prime Z590-P).
I know this is a different topic, but MSI Afterburner shows that the CPU temp is changing every second between 60-70C , it rarely stabilizes.... is my CPU going nuts, is it only an output problem or is it normal?

Solution
Blower style coolers aren't very good for temperatures, they are designed for limited space and act as part of the exhaust system. You should consider replacing the cooler entirely if you want lower temperatures.

As for paste, GPUs are direct die, so most pastes will work. I'm fond of Arctic MX-4 as a nice all around paste that isn't too expensive. But you can buy many high quality ones from the likes of Noctua, Thermal Grizzly, etc. Avoid liquid metal.

More voltage in MSI afterburner means more total power available to the GPU. An increase in voltage may be necessary for some overclocks, but you are still limited by the factory limits, so there is nothing dangerous in maxing it out. Ideally, yes, wait to re-do the thermal compound...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Blower style coolers aren't very good for temperatures, they are designed for limited space and act as part of the exhaust system. You should consider replacing the cooler entirely if you want lower temperatures.

As for paste, GPUs are direct die, so most pastes will work. I'm fond of Arctic MX-4 as a nice all around paste that isn't too expensive. But you can buy many high quality ones from the likes of Noctua, Thermal Grizzly, etc. Avoid liquid metal.

More voltage in MSI afterburner means more total power available to the GPU. An increase in voltage may be necessary for some overclocks, but you are still limited by the factory limits, so there is nothing dangerous in maxing it out. Ideally, yes, wait to re-do the thermal compound before overclocking, or as suggested, replace the cooler.

CPU temperature will always be somewhat erratic. Automatic overclocking from the motherboard generally applies too much voltage to the CPU, but as long as temperatures are in check, this is mostly okay. Still anything over 1.4 volts should be considered too much for daily use.

Solution
Oct 21, 2021

More voltage in MSI afterburner means more total power available to the GPU. An increase in voltage may be necessary for some overclocks, but you are still limited by the factory limits, so there is nothing dangerous in maxing it out. Ideally, yes, wait to re-do the thermal compound before overclocking, or as suggested, replace the cooler.

CPU temperature will always be somewhat erratic. Automatic overclocking from the motherboard generally applies too much voltage to the CPU, but as long as temperatures are in check, this is mostly okay. Still anything over 1.4 volts should be considered too much for daily use.
Thank you for the reply! Helpful