Need your help before buying a system

snirrr6

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
Hi guys, I'm buying a new computer and I wanted to ask you about this system. What do you think ?

CPU: Ryzen 1600x

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A320M

Memory: Lenovo 16GB(8x2) DDR4

GPU:GTX 1080 GALAX

Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB Sata 3 6gb\s barracuda 7200.14

SSD:ADATA 120 Sata 3 6GB/s , read speed 520 MB SU700 series

Antec GX330 with 500w PSU

What do you think guys ?

Solution
A B350 motherboard gives you a bit of flexibility should you want to overclock later. No glaring issues with compatibility. From what I can tell, that RAM is on ASUS' QVL for memory, so it shouldn't be an issue.

The Ryzen 5 1600 you've chosen has a cooler with it. It is clocked slightly lower than the 1600x. Not an issue should you decide to overclock.

I can't seem to find much English info on that PSU though. Hopefully Antec's quality for that holds well. The graphics card requires 500W minimum as a recommendation, so it should be fine.

Depending how much you download (whether games, music, etc) and use you may need to consider a larger capacity HDD. Although it is something you can add to the system later.

Overall, it looks like...
You'd need a cooler if you're using an 'x' model CPU as they don't have a cooler bundled with it (as I understand).

Motherboard is locked, as I understand the Ryzen motherboard chipsets, which wouldn't allow overclocking. May or may not be important to you.

Didn't know Lenovo made RAM. But I'm not sure how good the AM4 platform is now with RAM. During the early days there were issues about compatibility if not approved. I personally would still refer to the Gigabyte's QVL for compatible RAM (which hasn't been updated for a while). Curiously, Gigabyte also has an SSD compatibility list...

With a graphics card of that power, make sure you choose a quality PSU. Cross check your requirements with this list as a starting point: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Now I think about it... is this a prebuilt?

snirrr6

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017

I can replace the ram with HyperX, it's not a problem. I'm not thinking of overclock, I don't really need it. The antec isn't good enough for the 1080 ? And no, it's not pretty build, someone built it to me. So except the ram, what else should I replace ?

If the RAM is compatible then it's fine. I just err on the side of caution. Additionally, see if you get higher speed RAM as it's supposed to be very beneficial for Ryzen CPUs.

A good quality PSU will mitigate potential power draw issues. I wasn't too sure what sort of PSU you had in mind but you should be fine with an Antec PSU (at least tier 3 quality according to the list), though it wouldn't hurt to get a higher tiered PSU if it's affordable.

I don't have much of an opinion on the SSD. When I built my current one and got an SSD for a boot drive it was so much quicker than an HDD. There are faster SSDs, I'm sure, but depends how inclined you are towards high performance.

Overall, I don't see anything glaringly wrong with the build. As a personal preference I think it would make sense for this build to use an air cooler for the CPU rather than an AIO (less things to go wrong).

snirrr6

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
I think for the SSD I'll go with Samsung , don't know much about ADATA. Now for the PSU, I don't really know the brand, but I'll check this out. I'll also go with HyperX or GSkill since they are better options I think. What else do you think can enhance the system ? Maybe b350 motherboard?

With the PSU I would personally favour Seasonic as their products tend to review very well. For the best info I would look towards Jonnyguru's website for PSU reviews. (I currently use a tier 3 PSU which has lasted me for many years without problems.)

A B350 motherboard is the middle option (so to speak). X370 being the enthusiast option. These motherboards will have additional available ports to use (like USB and extra PCIe lanes). Typically the X370 motherboards seem to be of higher quality. Occasionally there are cases where the lower tier chipset motherboards outperform the higher ones (Tom's had a review on this comparison for an H110 motherboard, I believe).

Overall it would depend on what your needs are, and what you want. No configuration is ever wrong as long as it does what you want. That said the games you (want to) play, the things you (want to) do, the performance you're looking for, your monitor resolution and refresh rates, and budget are all factors which go into an informed choice.

A B350 motherboard gives you a bit of flexibility should you want to overclock later. No glaring issues with compatibility. From what I can tell, that RAM is on ASUS' QVL for memory, so it shouldn't be an issue.

The Ryzen 5 1600 you've chosen has a cooler with it. It is clocked slightly lower than the 1600x. Not an issue should you decide to overclock.

I can't seem to find much English info on that PSU though. Hopefully Antec's quality for that holds well. The graphics card requires 500W minimum as a recommendation, so it should be fine.

Depending how much you download (whether games, music, etc) and use you may need to consider a larger capacity HDD. Although it is something you can add to the system later.

Overall, it looks like it'll be an enjoyable system for gaming and other tasks.

I assume you know, but perhaps as a final note the i7-7700k is still the CPU to beat for gaming purposes.

Solution