Need your help selecting an AMD processor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
214020546944184a042ab0e.gif

LOL...that took a LOT of work!

Yes, it took many grueling seconds using a high-end graphics program called mspaint.exe!
Dude, MSpaint is the leetest program made by M$ ever, rivaled only by textpad.

"leetest"? I have never heard of that word...

but I know it is a sorry program...although it can be fun for little kids.

"grueling seconds"
ROFL!
you've never heard of 1337 omgwtfbbqnub! anyway, MSpaint pwns. it never fails, does all the basic photo editing options and is easy to use. by far some of the best M$ stuff =)

I suppose you have very basic needs then if you think paint is good.

1337? leetest? what the heck are you talking about?
Yup, my needs are basic. However, 1337 means "elite", it was basically branded most likely by Counter-Strike players sometime in 1999 or so.

Ok (I don't play CS), why did you exclude the rest of my post? I said I looked it up, found out what it meant.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Yes, it took many grueling seconds using a high-end graphics program called mspaint.exe!

"grueling seconds"
ROFL!
you've never heard of 1337 omgwtfbbqnub! anyway, MSpaint pwns. it never fails, does all the basic photo editing options and is easy to use. by far some of the best M$ stuff =)

Yup, my needs are basic. However, 1337 means "elite", it was basically branded most likely by Counter-Strike players sometime in 1999 or so.

Ok (I don't play CS), why did you exclude the rest of my post? I said I looked it up, found out what it meant.

Why is is that 3800 (2.7, more realistically 2.6)Can Overclock much higher than 3200 (2.9, more realistically)They both have Exactly the Same Specs Only difference is the Multiplyer.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

"grueling seconds"
ROFL!

Why is is that 3800 (2.7, more realistically 2.6)Can Overclock much higher than 3200 (2.9, more realistically)They both have Exactly the Same Specs Only difference is the Multiplyer.

Oh, I was not aware of that? Wait...then why is the 3200 cheaper?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

"grueling seconds"
ROFL!

i donno I'm asking that to ak47is1337

ak47is1337 wrote:
the highest real overclock you can get on a 3800 (2.7, more realistically 2.6) versus the highest 3200 (2.9, more realistically 2.Cool, I think the 3200 would win since it generates a lot less heat and is easier to manage I suppose. The manchester is, after all, just 2 venice cores =D

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

"grueling seconds"
ROFL!

Is Ak47is1337 even there, hello??? Did'nt you state that 3200+ clocks much further than 3800+??

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I hate Dell, I hate Gateway, I hate HP , I hate Apple, I hate Signatures but..... I love Girls;)
You forgot to add "I hate Intel".

I think the teXTand Visual Package Tell the story. Dont it Mr. Wusy>?

And the only reasong i was so active today was to show off my new Display. no other reason. i was'nt really intrested in the Bashing Intel with my own words. 'A picture is worth a 1000Words'

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I Wanted to Do it but, AMD have'nt "Dropped the hammer" in Intel yet so that hammer will have to stay in this position until we can Encounter and Kill Conroe/Woodcrest Processers.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

"grueling seconds"
ROFL!

Is Ak47is1337 even there, hello??? Did'nt you state that 3200+ clocks much further than 3800+??
When I stated the 3800 overclocks to a maximum lower frequency than a 3200, I was referring to the X2 3800, NOT the A64 3800. Sorry for any confusion.

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

"grueling seconds"
ROFL!

When I stated the 3800 overclocks to a maximum lower frequency than a 3200, I was referring to the X2 3800, NOT the A64 3800. Sorry for any confusion.

oh, ok.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I read through 2 pages of crap and saw nobody had responded to your question about what makes the Opteron a better value than the X23800+.

Basically the Opteron has twice the L2 cache as the X2 3800, overclocks better and runs 200 Mhz slower.

If you're not going to overclock, then the Opteron might not be worth it. If you do plan on overclocking, this proc would give you the best bang-for-the-buck out of anything currently on the market.

If you're not looking for a dual-core right now, there are other AMD processors that would give you better value for your dollar. At this point in time, you really can't go wrong with an AMD chip. They all perform great, it's really a matter of if you are going to overclock and if you prefer dual over single core. Until we actually have new product from intel, it's hard for me to recommend them.

Hope this helps in some way.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I read through 2 pages of crap and saw nobody had responded to your question about what makes the Opteron a better value than the X23800+.

Basically the Opteron has twice the L2 cache as the X2 3800, overclocks better and runs 200 Mhz slower.

If you're not going to overclock, then the Opteron might not be worth it. If you do plan on overclocking, this proc would give you the best bang-for-the-buck out of anything currently on the market.

If you're not looking for a dual-core right now, there are other AMD processors that would give you better value for your dollar. At this point in time, you really can't go wrong with an AMD chip. They all perform great, it's really a matter of if you are going to overclock and if you prefer dual over single core. Until we actually have new product from intel, it's hard for me to recommend them.

Hope this helps in some way.
Until dual core becomes mainstream, it is an utter waste of money. I used my friend's Opty 165 @ 2.7 and it was actually a little bit slower than a processor that costs less than half as much.

Well, if you want a cheap overclocker, the Pentium D 920 is supposed to overclock really well and is only $252. But yes, the 3800 X2 is a better buy than the Opteron 165 as it is faster and less expensive. You're not going to miss that extra 512k cache.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
To say dual core is a waste of money right now is not accurate. I upgraded to an Opteron 165 from a 3000+, both were overclocked, and the Opteron is many times more responsive than the single core, especially when multitasking.

The software doesn't necessarily have to be written for multi threaded processors, though when it is it's much faster. Windows itself does a good job of relegating the threads, enough to make a more pleasurable computing experience if you run more than 1 program at a time.

Now, if the machine is STRICTLY used for gaming purposes, other questions arise. Then, unless the game is written taking advantage of multiple threads, it doesn't matter how many cores you have available, then it's all about raw processing speed. Then I would advise someone to get a single core. To be honest, I don't know anyone who STRICTLY uses their PC's for gaming, so to me a few fps is worth the smoother experience that a dual core provides.

In the future (very NEAR future), ALL software will be written for multi-core chips, so that alone makes a dual core a good investment for someone who doesn't upgrade processors every year.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I would hardly call $252. cheap. For $50 more you can get the Opteron 165, which is simply a better processor for the money than the Intel one. I'm not a fanboy, but let's be honest....right now AMD is the better value for the money than Intel. AMD actually has both ends of the spectrum covered right now, they own the low and the high end. This looks to possibly change this year, but as it stands AMD is the way to go.

(I hate sounding like a fanboy, but I call it as I see it.)

As far as the X2 3800+ being a better value than the Opteron, I don't agree. The Opteron is a better overclocker, and tested using higher quality standards, meaning the silicon is generally of a higher quality.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
To say dual core is a waste of money right now is not accurate. I upgraded to an Opteron 165 from a 3000+, both were overclocked, and the Opteron is many times more responsive than the single core, especially when multitasking.

The software doesn't necessarily have to be written for multi threaded processors, though when it is it's much faster. Windows itself does a good job of relegating the threads, enough to make a more pleasurable computing experience if you run more than 1 program at a time.

Now, if the machine is STRICTLY used for gaming purposes, other questions arise. Then, unless the game is written taking advantage of multiple threads, it doesn't matter how many cores you have available, then it's all about raw processing speed. Then I would advise someone to get a single core. To be honest, I don't know anyone who STRICTLY uses their PC's for gaming, so to me a few fps is worth the smoother experience that a dual core provides.

In the future (very NEAR future), ALL software will be written for multi-core chips, so that alone makes a dual core a good investment for someone who doesn't upgrade processors every year.

I didn't notice any real fluidity in Windows =/ I could care less about dual core really, since I'm a gamer and nothing but (not to say I never overclocked). But the fact is, for 2x the price you don't get 2x the performance anyway, so in the end it's really a better deal for the 3200 venice.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I would hardly call $252. cheap. For $50 more you can get the Opteron 165, which is simply a better processor for the money than the Intel one. I'm not a fanboy, but let's be honest....right now AMD is the better value for the money than Intel. AMD actually has both ends of the spectrum covered right now, they own the low and the high end. This looks to possibly change this year, but as it stands AMD is the way to go.

(I hate sounding like a fanboy, but I call it as I see it.)
Not necessarily...Intel's dual cores are hella cheap. Yes, the 920 is a great overclocker, and not the X2 isn't, but it just isn't as good. Also, Intel has the cheapest dual core for like 166 the P'D'805 which is a fair overclocker as well.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Well, I definitely do notice a dramatic difference in having a second core. I admittedly multitask a lot, using processor intensive programs. This is when the benefits of dual core becomes apparent. Sure, just poking around on a machine you likely won't notice it, but when you put it to work, you will. Just running Windows and a couple of programs that aren't processor-intensive (like IE) you could never tell the difference. Try repairing a 9GB rar file using Quick Par while you're trying to do anything else on a PC, web-surfing included. You'll quickly praise dual core.

I can't recall a time where 2X the money meant 2X the performance, not in the computer world anyway. Ever hear of SLI? That, to me, is a waste. 2X the money for about 30% performance increase in FPS only. I do play games, but that still doesn't justify the cost to me.

Sure, the 3200 is a great chip thats at an awesome price point now, but to buy one now only to upgrade to dual core within a year's time would make it a waste to me. Certainly the 3200 is an awesome value. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a processor under $200. I chose to spend the extra money to future-proof my machine for another year or so, and I feel my money was well spent.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
while w/ single programs not many support dual procs/cores if you multitask and have many single programs open at a given time then you still see massive improvements over single proc/core. I just went to x2 4200 and is night and day. playing games is rockin. loads are so much faster cause windows no longer has to remove stuff from cache and ram to load them, it just uses the other core and bam! game unloads and alt-tab to desktop is quicker too. If you run music in background w/ games that is nice.

between the opty and the x2 it really comes down to if you want to oc. If you do, then go w/ the opty... it does oc better. If not, go w/ the x2.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
while w/ single programs not many support dual procs/cores if you multitask and have many single programs open at a given time then you still see massive improvements over single proc/core. I just went to x2 4200 and is night and day. playing games is rockin. loads are so much faster cause windows no longer has to remove stuff from cache and ram to load them, it just uses the other core and bam! game unloads and alt-tab to desktop is quicker too. If you run music in background w/ games that is nice.

between the opty and the x2 it really comes down to if you want to oc. If you do, then go w/ the opty... it does oc better. If not, go w/ the x2.
I noticed no difference at all from load times.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I actually just ordered a Pentium D 805 last night. For the price, those can't be beat. Can't wait to see what it will do.

Yes, I hear the 920 overclocks very well. I have yet to have any experience with it, so it would be hard for me to recommend it to anyone based solely on what I've read. My experience with NetBurst P4's makes me shy away from any of the processors that utilize it, and makes me think that the AMD Opteron at 2.8 GHZ is faster. Notice I said "thinks". It was an easy upgrade for me, because I already had a board and memory that it would work on, so the upgrade was considerable less expensive than if I would have had to go out and buy a new board and memory. I bought the 805 because I can use it in my work machine (which is Intel) and it was so friggin cheap! I will not buy an Intel processor for my home machines until they come out with Conroe and Conroe has proven to be what Intel claims it is.