Need your opinion on the bleeding on the ASUS PG279Q monitor

xilus-

Reputable
Feb 26, 2017
Hey guys,

Three days ago I purchased my first ASUS PG279Q monitor and fired it up and to my surprise it had some problems like, IMHO, excessive bleeding and physical scratch marks so I went back to the vendor and had it replaced with a new unit.

Now I checked this unit and it has no scratches but, alas, this one has bleeding as well, now it is not as severe as the first unit but it is still there, I have seen on the ASUS forum that people were claiming that the bleeding on their specimen of the same model "went away" after a couple of months and they posted pictures, which could be doctored as to persuade you to believe it's a temporary thing?

I would like to know your opinion on whether I should return this one as well or that I should consider this as best as it gets and whether the supposed comments on how it "went away" because it needs a period to settle is plausible or not?

Here is an URL to my album where the pictures I have taken are showcased http://imgur.com/a/Dungo

Let me know what you guys think and please do not be offended by the amount of pictures I have taken, remember, this monitor costs ~800 Euro and due to that I reckon it should be scrutinized as much as possible, thanks in advance

xilus-

Reputable
Feb 26, 2017
Hey krells,

Awesome reply mate, Based on the link I might consider mine as perfect as it can get when compared to the average lol, it's still a shame though, I mean, ~800 euro for a product like this and such bleeding? I do not mean to exaggerate things but I certainly am also not the type who likes to downplay these things, it is what it is I suppose, right?

Concerning the bleeding that "goes away" after a few months, they specifically implied that only the PG279Q line seems to have this miracle where it "goes away", now, I can see this taking place due to the fact that when I push the bezel at the location where the bleeding is present, it does make it less noticable, the only reasoning for this claim would be that perhaps the monitor needs to "settle in" as they claimed, where the tight bezel might perhaps become loose and as such not press as much as it does atm, but still, this might also be some Asus employee posing as a non-affiliated individual who doctored his pictures which do corroborate the claim, what do you think?

edit: the monitor this unit is to replace does tend to squeek every now and then as if the bezel or the plastic that covers it seems to either shrink or expand, the same principle might be an explanation for the phenomenon, but I think that the bleeding that supposedly goes away can only go away if you can decrease it by pressing the bezel and if that does not change anything I think it will never go away because it is something that is caused from the inside instead?

krells

Distinguished
Yeah, for the price I was really hoping it would be perfect but so far it seems like every panel type has its pros and cons. I really like the color, sharpness, and higher refresh rate so I dealt with the light bleed.

My understanding is the bleed comes from gaps between the panel and the screen bezel. Mine didn't get better or worse but I suppose anything is possible. If it did magically fix itself that would be pretty nice but I don't think expect it.

xilus-

Reputable
Feb 26, 2017
Hey man,

Yeah I can imagine, especially for your monitor, you paid some top notch amount for that monitor, you would expect them to atleast master the proces as to make sure that there is no significant bleeding, but then again, like you pointed out, it's a matter of whether you as an individual are satisfied or not, bleeding and glowing will be present to a certain extent, one way or another so.

I think I will keep this one, judging by the 20 monitor comparison, the unit I got is better than the average and because of that I think if I were to replace this one with another one I might get a unit that is much worse since this one is pretty decent when compared to most.

For the people who are interested in this monitor and are thinking whether they should buy it or not, do your homework, do NOT buy it from a vendor that will not allow you to have it replaced if you, as the buyer, are not satisfied, let's say if you do buy it and you notice bleeding, compare it to the pictures I have taken and the 20 monitor comparison album that krells has generously shared with us, if you notice that your monitor is among the worst units then go ahead and return it, if you have that option, respectively.

Also, keep in mind that the chances of you getting a 100% bleed free unit is very slim, you might be thinking well, you know, I paid * amount of money and I DEMAND a perfect unit, then I am afraid that you did not do your homework because the reason the bleeding is present, not only on this model but on pretty much every other IPS/G-SYNC/144HZ monitor is due to the fact that the manufacturer is forced to produce a product that has very thin bezels and this complicates it to the extent that the bezel is either too tight or too loose and as a result, believe it or not, you get bleeding.

I think it has absolutely nothing to do with quality control or what have you, I do not think there is a hidden agenda where manufacturers are trying to maximize their profit by cutting corners or what have you, if this was the case then there would be atleast ONE brand that could offer you 100% bleed free monitors, but sadly, I do not think it is possible with such bezels either way and so there is NOT ONE brand that can offer you this.

So for those who say " go for acer, they are better" or " ASUS monitors are the best", they are all in the same boat, do not go for a brand with the idea that they will have " better quality control " because, like I stated above, it has nothing to do with that and logically I cannot imagine how this could have anything to do with that, of course, some units experience excessive bleeding but, as I have read somewhere else, it seems that when they leave the manufacturing facility, the shaking that takes place during transport seems to create the bleeding, meaning, chances are when the unit left the facility it was good but as soon as movement is introduced, bleeding is created, there are reports of individuals who noticed that when they "moved" their monitor and fired it up, the bleeding had changed, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

So to sum this up, do your homework, understand what you are getting involved in, I would liken it to buying a vehicle that can accelerate very fast, but for this awesome option, it uses ALOT of fuel, now you would not buy that vehicle without knowing this, right? The same principle goes for these monitors, check reviews, check pictures, check comparisons, what ever, just do not buy it with an attitude of " I paid for it and I want nothing but the best " because that is not realistic and you are expecting the impossible.