Question Need your opinion on this upgrade

Oct 4, 2022
Hello dear community!

These are my current specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (stock amd cooler)
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Rog RTX 3080 Ti (upgraded from a gigabyte 5700xt)
Rog Strix 1000g (1000w)

The last two components i upgraded recently, I've read the this combo should work fine with my r5 3600 at 1440p,
But on heavy gaming cpu is reaching its temperature limit (i know my cooler is trash) and i feel its limiting the full potential of my gpu so I've decided to upgrade cpu and mobo

I've read a lot and this is what i came up with:
12600k (i don't intend on overclocking, but a my friend works at intel and got a massive discount on cpu's so its a super good deal! :) )
Asus Rog strix B660-G gaming wifi
And for cpu cooler I've decided to go Asus rog strix LC II aio

Thought I'll hear some advice from people that understand better than me on how's this combo, because I've read that z690 chipsets are more recommended for alder lake
But as I don't intend on overclocking at all, would this mobo suffice?

Thanks a ton for reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should've looked into a 1.2KW or higher PSU to power your entire build with an RTX3080Ti. As for your upgrade path, you could look into a B550 chipset board and pair that with a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz ram kit and an Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9 5000 series processor.

If you don't intend on overclocking, you should get a non K suffix processor(don't bother looking at the F SKU's, since having an iGPU does help during troubleshooting).

12600k (i don't intend on overclocking, but a my friend works at intel and got a massive discount on cpu's so its a super good deal! :) )
And for cpu cooler vie decided to go Asus rog strix LC II aio
You're forgetting about ram. Rog strix B660-G gaming wifi requires DDR5 ram.
Which model Asus rog strix LC II aio is it?

Oct 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should've looked into a 1.2KW or higher PSU to power your entire build with an RTX3080Ti. As for your upgrade path, you could look into a B550 chipset board and pair that with a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz ram kit and an Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9 5000 series processor.

If you don't intend on overclocking, you should get a non K suffix processor(don't bother looking at the F SKU's, since having an iGPU does help during troubleshooting).
Thanks for the welcome! and for the quick reply
Oh wow, do you mind expanding about the psu? I've read that all recommendations for a 3080ti are at least 750w, I thought I went the extra mile and future proof myself with a 1000w, is it not enough?
What about the b660 and 12600? do you think its okay to go for mid range b660?

You're forgetting about ram. Rog strix B660-G gaming wifi requires DDR5 ram.
Which model Asus rog strix LC II aio is it?
Hi, thanks for the reply! yes i know its a ddr 5 mobo, the ram availability where i live is not an issue right now so I've pretty much were only worried if a b660 is bad for alder lake, or at least if its worth getting something more towards the high end
The rog strix LC II 280 argb dual rog 140mm fan -that's the full name hope it answers it as I'm not sure if there's more versions

I thought I went the extra mile and future proof myself with a 1000w, is it not enough?
Although the power consumption for the 3080 Ti is specified at 350W, there can be split second spikes where it's pulling much more than that. If the PSU can't handle it, it will shut down to protect itself. This is why people recommend to have much higher wattage power supplies than you think you need for high end GPU's
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

Chances are you won't have an issue, it's just has affected even good quality high wattage units.

rog strix LC II 280
I use the 240mm version, the 280 will be fine for the 12600K.

It's a very nice board, certainly good enough. The benefits of Z690 are more features, PCI-E lanes and the ability to overclock.

Oct 4, 2022
You can find Gamers Nexus video regarding the new generation of GPU's drawing more than double what they're advertised, transient load spikes.
Although the power consumption for the 3080 Ti is specified at 350W, there can be split second spikes where it's pulling much more than that. If the PSU can't handle it, it will shut down to protect itself. This is why people recommend to have much higher wattage power supplies than you think you need for high end GPU's
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ

Chances are you won't have an issue, it's just has affected even good quality high wattage units.

I use the 240mm version, the 280 will be fine for the 12600K.

It's a very nice board, certainly good enough. The benefits of Z690 are more features, PCI-E lanes and the ability to overclock.
Thanks for the info!
I've watched the video, wasn't aware of that issue before, its been quite a while and everything is good so far, never had the slightest issue hope it'll keep that way!
And thanks Nighthawk, its really reassuring!

Oct 4, 2022
You could update your BIOS and drop in a 5800X3D that is still one of the best gaming CPU’s available. You would need a better cooler.

What RAM do you have? This can have a noticeable impact on performance.
I've thought about it, but I'm getting a very good discount on the intel cpu and its actually cheaper for me to get the 12600k and the strix B660-G then the 5800x3d alone so im kind off locked on that idea
My ram is Corsair DDR 4 16G (8Gx2) 3000 CL16 VENGEANCE

Oct 4, 2022
Also worthy of consideration is the 12700K if a good deal is available on that as well.
All 12th gen cpu's are actually, going i7 worth the extra money in your opinion in terms of gaming performance?
Is there any differences between i5 and i7 in terms of it fitting the setup I posted up there? Just want to keep everything stock, cool and stable as possible 😁

All 12th gen cpu's are actually, going i7 worth the extra money in your opinion in terms of gaming performance?
Is there any differences between i5 and i7 in terms of it fitting the setup I posted up there? Just want to keep everything stock, cool and stable as possible 😁
At the moment not really no, I was just thinking of buying more than you need for the future. The board you've chosen can take an i7, the only caveat is it's a hotter chip. With a Z board you would have the option of undervolting it to bring power and temps down. If you want something that's relatively cool out of the box and don't want to touch anything then the 12600K is not a bad choice. In terms of the cooler, a 280mm AIO is sufficient for a 12700K but a 360mm AIO is nice if you can fit one.

It’s more money but have you considered the 5800x3d? From reviews it hangs with the newer amd 7000 series cpus. I’ve seen them on eBay under 400 bucks. Personally I’ve got a 5900x running on my b350 board and it’s been pretty good. As long as the current board has decent vrms etc I’d consider those options before just jumping to Intel. You could even get a 5700x for about 225-250 as a budget option.

My 5900x so far I’m pretty happy with it considering I’m using a board from 2018 or so.

Edit: never mind I see someone asked about the 5800x3d already.

Reactions: Radkooo
Hello dear community!

These are my current specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (stock amd cooler)
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Rog RTX 3080 Ti (upgraded from a gigabyte 5700xt)
Rog Strix 1000g (1000w)

The last two components i upgraded recently, I've read the this combo should work fine with my r5 3600 at 1440p,
But on heavy gaming cpu is reaching its temperature limit (i know my cooler is trash) and i feel its limiting the full potential of my gpu so I've decided to upgrade cpu and mobo

And for cpu cooler vie decided to go Asus rog strix LC II aio

Thought I'll hear some advice from people that understand better than me on how's this combo, because I've read that z690 chipsets are more recommended for alder lake

Thanks a ton for reading!
Nice build ^^

Here's a couple of cost cutters.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B660M-MORTAR-DDR4

Same board as up above but comes with WiFi.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B660M-MORTAR-WIFI-DDR4

And this cpu cooler will suffice for that 12600K.

https://global.deepcool.com/product...-High-Performance-CPU-Cooler/2021/13067.shtml

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-ak620-review

Oct 4, 2022
Thank you! will look into these!
That's one pretty air cooler I must say! though I thought going aio cause of the smaller form factor and cleanliness

I think the OP is an Asus fan, everything is Rog Strix :)
Haha you could say so, yes, I've lots of issues with my gigabyte 5700 xt, also had a generic 600w psu, had some pretty bad crashes from time to time, that's why I went for the upgrade and pricier stuff from rog
And I'm really happy with my current psu and gpu, i don't know how to explain it but imo something about rog screams "premium", they got me :LOL: though I'm sure there's better parts in terms of performance/price

Reactions: Why_Me
Haha you could say so, yes, I've lots of issues with my gigabyte 5700 xt, also had a generic 600w psu, had some pretty bad crashes from time to time, that's why I went for the upgrade and pricier stuff from rog
And I'm really happy with my current psu and gpu, i don't know how to explain it but imo something about rog screams "premium", they got me :LOL: though I'm sure there's better parts in terms of performance/price
Fair enough, spending too little is often more of a disaster than spending too much.

Reactions: Radkooo
Oct 4, 2022
Learned it the hard way
gpu would crash in middle of games and such, sometimes even worse during pandemic online courses, during a SolidWorks project, sometimes had to reinstall drivers but I lived with it
Till the say I had enough - having a blast with the 3080 Ti !

Learned it the hard way
gpu would crash in middle of games and such, sometimes even worse during pandemic online courses, during a SolidWorks project, sometimes had to reinstall drivers but I lived with it
Till the say I had enough - having a blast with the 3080 Ti !

Asus does have good stuff, but I do remember in times past walking into my local Microcenter, and they'd have an area of motherboards that were RTV returns where they'd been returned and came back to the store and put out for sale again at a discount. Sure seems like I remember seeing stacks from that brand. Been a few years now, but seemed it was right after they began branching into producing PC's.