[SOLVED] Need your opinions...

Deltaeagle

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Hello everyone. I thinking to build new gaming system. But i want it to
go for a long time. (At least for 5 years at average graphic settings ) I'm not going to to OC and already ordered RTX 2080. And here is my setup ;

Asus z370 P II prime 2133mhz-4000mhz(OC) 1151p v2 ATX

i7 8700 (non k)

2x8gb 3200mhz corsair vengance lpx cl16

Samsung 500GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe 3500MB 3200MB M.2

should i change any of these? and, will 600w psu going to enough for this system? I also couldnt decide between 1080p and 1440p (both 144hz) since i want to use this system as long as possible. 1080p seems fit but 1440p users are saying diffrence is huge between 1080p and 1440p but i wondering about fps drop between these two.

Solution
RTX2080 is good for around 100FPS at 1440p on the hardest hitting titles today. People tend to keep monitors longer than GPUs, so overbuying on the monitor won't exactly hurt. On anything that isn't the latest and greatest title, or you tweak the settings down a little, you can enjoy 144hz quite well with an RTX2080.

If you don't need the features that motherboard offers, maybe drop down to H370. You don't really need overclocked RAM either. DDR4 2666 with a low latency should be fine.

Otherwise get the 8700k and a decent heatsink so you at least have the option to overclock in the future.

600W PSU is enough, but it is quality as well. You would want to stick with reputable models like Corsair RM650x, Seasonic, EVGA B2/B3 or G2/G3...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RTX2080 is good for around 100FPS at 1440p on the hardest hitting titles today. People tend to keep monitors longer than GPUs, so overbuying on the monitor won't exactly hurt. On anything that isn't the latest and greatest title, or you tweak the settings down a little, you can enjoy 144hz quite well with an RTX2080.

If you don't need the features that motherboard offers, maybe drop down to H370. You don't really need overclocked RAM either. DDR4 2666 with a low latency should be fine.

Otherwise get the 8700k and a decent heatsink so you at least have the option to overclock in the future.

600W PSU is enough, but it is quality as well. You would want to stick with reputable models like Corsair RM650x, Seasonic, EVGA B2/B3 or G2/G3, Superflower Leadex, Antec HCG, and a few others. I believe the PSU tier list has been brought back to life: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Solution

Deltaeagle

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Hello i thinking to buy i7 8700 and rtx 2080 rog strix, is this cpu enough for 1440p 144hz gaming with this graphics card. I wondering about bottleneck. And what kind psu do i need for this system? i8700 + 2080 strix + 16 gb corsair lpx 3200mhz + asus prime z370

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Why are you wondering about bottleneck? Throw that word out of your vocabulary, and ignore any and all bottleneck calculator sites. They are worse than useless and should all be burned to the ground.

Whether the CPU is sufficient or not depends on the game.

Whether the GPU is sufficient or not depends on:
the game
your monitor's resolution and refresh rate
what level of details you want to set
what target frame rate you want to hit

For example, you could have a mid-range CPU running a game, and if you try to run it at 4K resolution with max details, even an RTX 2080Ti might occasionally struggle to keep up.

Reactions: Deltaeagle

Deltaeagle

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Why are you wondering about bottleneck? Throw that word out of your vocabulary, and ignore any and all bottleneck calculator sites. They are worse than useless and should all be burned to the ground.

Whether the CPU is sufficient or not depends on the game.

Whether the GPU is sufficient or not depends on:
the game
your monitor's resolution and refresh rate
what level of details you want to set
what target frame rate you want to hit

For example, you could have a mid-range CPU running a game, and if you try to run it at 4K resolution with max details, even an RTX 2080Ti might occasionally struggle to keep up.

Thanks, im still stuck between 1080p and 1440p both going to be 144hz i want to try 1440p but there is a lot fps drop as i see. Could you suggest psu for my system?

g-unit1111

Titan
When calculating PSU wattage, it's probably wise to ignore the advice from nearly every PSU wattage calculator on the internet, because they're all inaccurate. The one on PC Part Picker is probably the closest to real world wattage usage, but even that's still somewhat inaccurate.

When you're looking for a PSU, take into account build quality as well as the stated wattage. You want a strong, solid PSU with a good track record. Something like Seasonic Focus, EVGA G2, or Corsair RMx.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks, im still stuck between 1080p and 1440p both going to be 144hz i want to try 1440p but there is a lot fps drop as i see. Could you suggest psu for my system?

Unfortunately, which video card you ultimately buy will play a pretty big factor in what PSU you need.

Just spitballing it right now, I'd say that a good 650W PSU, maybe a 750W to be on the absolute safest side (say if you were considering getting an 8700k and a 2080Ti), would do the trick. I generally would recommend SeaSonic, as just about every model they make is good.

There are other good ones from other brands, but, for other brands, there might be some models that are good, and other models that aren't good, within the same brand. Others can jump in with their own knowledge on that aspect.

Reactions: Deltaeagle