Needa advice on an upgrade from 8800GT

Arilan

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Hi everyone,

I built a PC about a year ago and for the most part I think it's probably okay still ( Q6600 2.4 CPU, 4GB RAM, 512MB 8800GT ). I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics card as there are a few games coming out over the next couple of months like MWF2 that I'd really like to play with decent settings.

Could anyone give me some advice on what will be a decent upgrade to my current graphics card. I also have a cheap PSU which I'm not very confident about, so I was thinking of changing that too, any suggestions?

My budget is about £250 ( $400 ) for both items and the graphics card is my main priority.

Thanks for your help.

^ If you can wait for a month, then I would suggest the HD 5850...It would cost about $299...
But if you dont want to wait, then the possible upgrade -
Nvidia GTX 275/ ATI HD 4890...These cards would be a very good upgrade to that 8800GT...
PSU - Any high quality 500W PSU from Corsair/ Silverstone/ Seasonic/ Antec EA would do...

Theres always going to be something more powerful coming soon........

Get what you can afford now.

^+1. you never going to buy anything if you keep waiting for the best :D

if you want to upgrade at least get HD4870 / GTX 260. but if you want to wait for HD5000 series its up to you. the choice is yours :)

as for the psu get the good branded one such as corsair / antec / seasonic

Arilan

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I will wait for the 5xxx series and see what the prices are like, it looks like there's only a few days to wait anyway.