Question I'm in need of a new solution for Home Networking ?

Skippy2416

Honorable
Mar 7, 2017
So I am looking into completely renovating my home internet and security as we are having issues with both, the Wi-Fi being unreliable and never being enough and the cloud cameras never catching things, my dog broke his neck recently and we don't even know what happened . I am wanting locally stored camera surveillance system and new Wi-Fi solution. I am looking into Ubiquity's mesh system and the security all being on one machine and power everything through the Cat5 cables which is a massive plus in my book. This is going to cover 2 houses and a B&B which will need to be isolated from our home network so I am taking into account around 6 access points and around7-9 cameras.

So my question is, is there a homebrew solution that can achieve the same thing but cheaper, readily available and as user friendly as Unifi with the same modularity? I do not trust cloud storage and Wi-Fi cameras as they never seem to work as intended.

kanewolf

Titan
So I am looking into completely renovating my home internet and security as we are having issues with both, the Wi-Fi being unreliable and never being enough and the cloud cameras never catching things, my dog broke his neck recently and we don't even know what happened . I am wanting locally stored camera surveillance system and new Wi-Fi solution. I am looking into Ubiquity's mesh system and the security all being on one machine and power everything through the Cat5 cables which is a massive plus in my book. This is going to cover 2 houses and a B&B which will need to be isolated from our home network so I am taking into account around 6 access points and around7-9 cameras.

So my question is, is there a homebrew solution that can achieve the same thing but cheaper, readily available and as user friendly as Unifi with the same modularity? I do not trust cloud storage and Wi-Fi cameras as they never seem to work as intended.
Do you have the necessary ethernet cabling installed or is that part of the upgrade?
Ubiquiti's "mesh" system is called the AmpliFI. You don't want that, you want the UniFI hardware.
My first recommendation would be to get the B&B a separate ISP connection. It is an expense of running the B&B. Treat it like the business it is. Plus that shields your personal ISP connection from ANY potentially illegal activities. If it is all one ISP connection, then you can't argue it "wasn't me" that pirated Beyonce's album before it was released.