Question Needing advice on CPU upgrade with current rig

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
This page and PCPartsPicker.com says the i7-990X CPU is compatible with my current rig which has the vanilla Asus P6T mobo as shown in my sig. This page says that this CPU is compatible with the 1408 version of the BIOS which I currently have.

I just want to know if I'm all good to go before I buy the CPU. Or do I have to upgrade the BIOS to a compatible version?

And after upgrading the BIOS, do I have to make any changes in the BIOS to optimize the CPU like making sure it sees all the cores, etc.?

Are there any other CPUs compatible with this mobo that is comparable with the i7-990X? On the compatibilities page in the link above, in one of the comments, someone said they're using the Intel Xeon X5690 on the P6T.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
I can't afford to upgrade my current old rig to today's newer parts, at least for the time being. I'm just looking to get faster windows performance with a better cpu for the current rig. Some applications are very sluggish.

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
IMO, if you were going to spend $200 on this as a considered upgrade, I would save that money towards even something around 3xxx Ryzen or 10th gen Intel or better. Don't get hung up on the core count given those speeds, as well as RAM speed. $4-500 would put you in a galaxy far far away...even so much as a refurbished 4th gen for a buck-something would give it a run.

Reactions: Why_Me
Last edited:

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
IMO, if you were going to spend $200 on this as a considered upgrade, I would save that money towards even something around 3xxx Ryzen or 10th gen Intel or better. Don't get hung up on the core count given those speeds, as well as RAM speed. $4-500 would put you in a galaxy far far away...

Ok. I'll consider it. I might just end up saving money for a new build as you suggested. Thanks.

The feedback doesn’t look bad and they say 30 day warranty. eBay should also have their money back guarantee. So I wouldn’t be totally uncomfortable with that.

Here’s another option for a little over 200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1342594827...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

You’d need to come up with ram maybe a budget kit like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3336742085...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That system wouldn’t be the most modern but probably ahead of what you’ve got, and should let you update the bios and update later to a ryzen 5000 series cpu.

Nice! I'll consider this also, but it seems a bit out over my wallet at the moment. I might just end up getting this 990X on Ebay. Thanks.

See my updated post. I think I got it closer to 200. But it’s totally up to you. For the money you’ll have more flexibility, if you wanted to update to a 5700x you’d have that ability. Of course you could also go to a better board. But you’d be miles ahead of the Intel system you have I think.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
See my updated post. I think I got it closer to 200. But it’s totally up to you. For the money you’ll have more flexibility, if you wanted to update to a 5700x you’d have that ability. Of course you could also go to a better board. But you’d be miles ahead of the Intel system you have I think.

Great. I'll consider that. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS