Question Needing advice on upgrade

Feb 22, 2020
I just purchased a old asus essentio cm1630 for 75$. I play runescape and would like to run it at full graphics, it struggles hard. It has a few upgrades done to it already geforce gtx 650ti pci Express x16 gen2. Has a corsair gs800 power supply, 6gb of installed ram. Still has factory motherboard and cpu. Amd phenom (tm) IIX4 830 Processor 2.80 ghz. I would like a nice upgrade option without breaking the bank, i pretty much only play runescape. I run dual monitors off the video card. Thank you all for your patience!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Here are the compatible components for that PC as per UsrBenchmark. If you are wanting better graphics, I would suggest getting a GTX 1650. That should improve the graphics if the old CPU can keep up. Runescape is a pretty light weight game as far as requirements go. If the 1650 is too badly bottlenecked by the Phenom II x4 850, I would look for a faster Phenom II X4. The 965 should be about it.

Feb 22, 2020
I was kinda thinking a new mother board and better cpu ,graphics card. That way i can further upgrade later. I see my system mother board has the old chipset, and not much room for improvement. I like amd.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I was kinda thinking a new mother board and better cpu ,graphics card. That way i can further upgrade later. I see my system mother board has the old chipset, and not much room for improvement. I like amd.
I see. Well, if you want to go that route, all you'll have left of the old PC will be the case. Unless you plan on keeping the weak PSU and drive(s). Assuming that is what you want to do, it may be cheaper just to build from scratch. You'll only be adding the cost of a new modern case to the total package.

However, if you want to make a newer PC out of the old one in the same case with the same PSU, I'd go with finding the most gfx card first that will run on the old PSU. What is it, 300W. No 6-pin?

Need more info as to what you want to keep and what you want to replace. I already know you want to replace the board and CPU and GPU.

Feb 22, 2020
I see. Well, if you want to go that route, all you'll have left of the old PC will be the case. Unless you plan on keeping the weak PSU and drive(s). Assuming that is what you want to do, it may be cheaper just to build from scratch. You'll only be adding the cost of a new modern case to the total package.

However, if you want to make a newer PC out of the old one in the same case with the same PSU, I'd go with finding the most gfx card first that will run on the old PSU. What is it, 300W. No 6-pin?

Need more info as to what you want to keep and what you want to replace. I already know you want to replace the board and CPU and GPU.

I'm pretty sure i stated it has upgraded corsair gs800 power supply, anyhow here are the specs on power supply.
  • Power Output Connectors Details
    1 x power 24 pin ATX
    1 x power 8 pin EPS12V
    8 x 4 pin internal power
    8 x 15 pin Serial ATA power
    2 x 4 pin mini-power connector
  • Output Voltage
    +3.3, +5, ±12 V
  • Power Capacity
    800 Watt
  • Power Provided
    800 Watt