Case - NZXT S340VR Elite (CA-S340W-B3)

EVGA - SuperNOVA 550 G2 80+ GOLD 550W Fully Modular

Motherboard - MSI B350 TOMAHAWK Gaming ATX

Hard Drive - Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA 6GB/s 64MB Cache

Processor - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor w/ Wraith Spire Cooler

GPU - GIGABYTE GEforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 128 Bit

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4

USAGE:

1A: Multitasking (Lots of Chrome tabs open at once)
1B: Multitasking (Software geared towards selling online)
2: Light Video Editing

• What benefits would there be for switching to W11 if any?
  • Only thing I would for sure like to upgrade is my CPU. Would use PCPartsPicker to make sure my existing setup is all compatible
  • My GPU as well at a later date. I dont game, so GPU isnt a priority at this point

TIA for any help & input

Solution
Ok here goes:
  1. The only reason for you to go to Windows 11 is the new multiwindow stuff they have added. It might be of usse to you.
  2. the 1600 is a solid CPU but if you are going to upgrade wait until the new Ryzen chip launches. It doesn't use AM4 (the socket the 1600) uses so you may be able to pick up a 3000 series CPU for a decent price.
  3. If you are going to upgrade your GPU (I'm assuming you'll go to a 3000 or 4000 series nvidia card) then it might be worthwhile looking into a PSU upgrade. 550W is good but the 3000 series iss really power hungry.

With all that being said there isn't really a need for you to upgrade if all you do is web browsing. If it were me I'd add some more RAM to my system to handle all the RAM...

SMARTZ921

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
Ok here goes:
  1. The only reason for you to go to Windows 11 is the new multiwindow stuff they have added. It might be of usse to you.
  2. the 1600 is a solid CPU but if you are going to upgrade wait until the new Ryzen chip launches. It doesn't use AM4 (the socket the 1600) uses so you may be able to pick up a 3000 series CPU for a decent price.
  3. If you are going to upgrade your GPU (I'm assuming you'll go to a 3000 or 4000 series nvidia card) then it might be worthwhile looking into a PSU upgrade. 550W is good but the 3000 series iss really power hungry.

With all that being said there isn't really a need for you to upgrade if all you do is web browsing. If it were me I'd add some more RAM to my system to handle all the RAM hungry chrome tabs. As I said earlier the 1600 is a solid CPU especially for gaming and editing.

Solution
I would update BIOS and grab a used 3700x - 39X0x. That would be a massive computational upgrade and you can sell the 1600 for some money to reduce the cost of the upgrade. If multitasking is what you do then more cores are your friend especially if you are editing while multitasking.

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Ok here goes:
  1. The only reason for you to go to Windows 11 is the new multiwindow stuff they have added. It might be of usse to you. I will look into W11 features. I've honestly not looked into it all. I just know my current CPU isnt compatible with that OS
  2. the 1600 is a solid CPU but if you are going to upgrade wait until the new Ryzen chip launches. It doesn't use AM4 (the socket the 1600) uses so you may be able to pick up a 3000 series CPU for a decent price. I gotcha
  3. If you are going to upgrade your GPU (I'm assuming you'll go to a 3000 or 4000 series nvidia card) then it might be worthwhile looking into a PSU upgrade. 550W is good but the 3000 series iss really power hungry. I have a 3060 LHR model due to my door in mid Feb, so if I decide to sell that I would still stay in the 30 series family, yes.
With all that being said there isn't really a need for you to upgrade if all you do is web browsing. If it were me I'd add some more RAM to my system to handle all the RAM hungry chrome tabs. As I said earlier the 1600 is a solid CPU especially for gaming and editing.

Do you have a budget?

In what way is your current setup not doing the job?

I would think that a ssd should replace the HDD as a first change.
Everything you do will be quicker.

The other thought is that 16gb may be not enough for you.
When multitasking, you want all tasks to be able to reside in ram.
And, chrome is a ram hog.

If going to 32 gb might be via another 16gb, think twice. Such upgrade are likely to be a bit incompatible.

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
Do you have an SSD? I would get as much SSD storage as I can for video editing. What is the speed of your ram? What would your budget be for a CPU motherboard ram upgrade? Maybe a new case for better airflow and looks?
Yes, I have an SSD
Ram Speed is 2933
Budget up to a couple grand

In all honesty Im contemplating building a whole new rig, because if Im going to upgrade a case + 3-4 components I mean I might as well right?

RKD2313

Prominent
Aug 13, 2021
For what your doing probably no need to upgrade anything other then add a SSD for the OS and programs.
W11 has really nothing to offer.
Thank for that advice

Do you have a budget? I mean Id like to keep it within reason to a certain extent. Im not opposed to dropping a couple grand, because I own and operate my business from home, so everything will be submitted for a tax write-off.

In what way is your current setup not doing the job? Great question. Its not so much that my current set up isnt or cant do what Im asking it to do. I would just like to upgrade honestly. I want the capability there if a software comes out that I want/need. I want everything I do on an everyday basis to be that much quicker and efficient. Even if we're talking about millisecond differences. That adds up to make a big difference when you take into consideration all the instances where the differences would come into play. Time is more valuable than money

I would think that a ssd should replace the HDD as a first change.
Everything you do will be quicker. I have both. The OS and too much stuff is on my SSD. Im actually in the process of moving a lot of files and stuff over from the SSD to the HDD. If I need to upgrade my SSD as far as size and/or speed is concerned Im definitely not opposed to doing that

The other thought is that 16gb may be not enough for you.
When multitasking, you want all tasks to be able to reside in ram.
And, chrome is a ram hog. You're not kidding. That is another thing I learned AFTER I built the computer. This is my 1st PC build and I've had zero issues which is honestly impressive and gives/gave me a sense of accomplishment haha I built this in 2016 and at that time I had a different job and didnt use the computer in the ways I do now.

If going to 32 gb might be via another 16gb, think twice. Such upgrade are likely to be a bit incompatible. Ill have to read into what I should do in this regard. If I need to completely remove the ram and go with something else completely thats fine. If I need to add to what I got thats fine too. Im open to any and all suggestions honestly.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Yes, I have an SSD
Ram Speed is 2933
Budget up to a couple grand

In all honesty Im contemplating building a whole new rig, because if Im going to upgrade a case + 3-4 components I mean I might as well right?
yeah you could do a full build and hold on to your 1050 ti until you can get a better GPU on newegg shuffle or something