Question Needing confirmation on this CPU choice

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Basically I was looking at upgrading my system, but it became pointless given what's available today and the cost for what I need.

My current setup, an i5-2400 quad-core with 16GB RAM on a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 motherboard is actually fine, believe it or not. I'm very good at getting my systems to last a long time every time. It does the job fine for what I do there are just increasingly times when it just needs a little more.. more.

So given that I'd like to stick to around $500 - $600 Canadian, after lots of researching, I think I've settled on a B450 motherboard (that has bios flashback) with a Ryzen 3600. My Antec TruePower TP-650 PSU is probably nearing the end of the road so I don't mind replacing it if necessary (that I've done no research on). And RAM is RAM but I'm thinking 16GB or 32 if I can get a good deal (unless it's unnecessary overkill).

My question is, have I done my research right in terms of what I should get for what I want to spend?
Here's what I need in my system...
  • I do about 40% gaming (my GPU is recent), 40% video and audio editing (Sony Vegas and Sound Forge, very simple editing, no effects or 3d rendering) and 20% web and productivity.
  • I like to have about 8-10 SATA ports for HDDs, SSDs, and several optical drives I use.
  • Plenty of PCI slots are good so that I can move my GPU around if necessary to access SATA ports.
  • If I need to get a PSU, I got this one I have now because it gave me the option of molex connectors for older IDE drives I still access with video editing projects, but I suppose I could just upgrade that content on to newer HDDs. (Nevertheless, I do have an optical DVD drive I need to run from time to time that only runs well off the motherboard and not an external shell) Just giving all the info I can.
  • This one is nitpicky and a bit complicated... I currently use my mobo to output analog 5.1 for games and video watching/editing because my computer is hooked up to my TV/receiver. I'd rather keep using analog 5.1 because I already have the long very high quality cables and because my receiver doesn't have HDMI. My GPU and mobo can't output 5.1 digitally, otherwise I'd pass the HD and 5.1 via my TV to the receiver the way I do with my Rpi2 and gaming consoles. Any help here would be great. Honestly, I think the analog 5.1 is the best solution, I just need to keep it on the next board
Concerns:
  • I've never bought anything MSI but I see they dominate the b450 market in bios flashback boards. I'm guessing they're ok considering how much they seem to sell?
  • Do brands matter on PSUs?

So am I on the right track, here? Any comments or suggestions? Yes, I did consider an X470 but it makes things unnecessarily expensive if I've done my research right.

Thank you!!! This community is always helpful for over ten years!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sounds like you're on the right tracks my friend :)

• being as you do both gaming and editing, you would almost definitely be better suited looking at a Ryzen system for current prices. A 3600 is better for gaming, but a 2700 is better for your editing needs. and they are usually both around the same price. If you want better performance gaming and still good workstation, get the 3600, if you want to prioritise workstation needs, get the 2700.
  • How long have you had said PSU? Not only is a budget line, but PSUs ALL have a shelf life, and the risk of them going back can easily damage other components.
  • Again if you are editing, 32GB may be beneficial, but for gaming, 16GB is enough. However when you say "RAM is RAM" just remember that RAM speeds are becoming more important, especially on the Ryzen 3rd gen, you want higher RAM speed here.
  • What is your GPU exactly?
I've never bought anything MSI but I see they dominate the b450 market in bios flashback boards. I'm guessing they're ok considering how much they seem to sell?
MSI are a major manufacturer like many others, and are one of the top players. I have mostly used MSI for all my components typically. They also have MAX series motherboard in the B450 range, which take the 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box, no BIOS update needed.

Do brands matter on PSUs?
Undoubtedly, but there is something more important which is the model itself. The one thing you should never go cheap on is the PSU, and we see that mistake all too often. But the brand only goes so far, for example, EVGA make a TON of trash, as do Cooler Master, but also make some excellent units.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($260.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $578.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-07 11:43 EDT-0400

There are better PSUs, but the CX is a solid budget friendly PSU that meets your particular budget.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
  • What is your GPU exactly?
My GPU is an AMD Radeon R9 280. Sincerely, for what I game and for the miniscule bit of GPU video rendering I do, it's serving my needs perfectly even on my current system. And it's just not the priority to spend money on right now. I think a new PSU is more important. Maybe over the coming months in sales heavy seasons. Also, I just spent a decent amount on a UPS, something I went too long without.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
A few questions for you, if you don't mind...
1. The 3600 for gaming vs the 2700 for editing, why the difference?

2. Is it only the MAX series that are 3000 series ready?

3. Is thee such a thing as the "best" b450 you can buy? Or are they all the same and just a matter of specific needs? I don't want to have trouble fitting cards in there and I need as many SATA ports as possible.

There are better PSUs, but the CX is a solid budget friendly PSU that meets your particular budget.
4. What makes a better PSU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
1. The 3600 for gaming vs the 2700 for editing, why the difference?
At the basis of it - more cores and more threads.
3600 has better single core performance for most gaming for example.

2. Is it only the MAX series that are 3000 series ready?
READY yes, compatible no. All B450 are usually compatible with a BIOS update. However some sellers are selling other B450 models with latest BIOS. So it also depends on when the board is manufactured and how long it's been sitting on a seller's shelf.#

3. Is thee such a thing as the "best" b450 you can buy? Or are they all the same and just a matter of specific needs? I don't want to have trouble fitting cards in there and I need as many SATA ports as possible.
Closer to the "they're the same, but tailored to different needs". Put it this way you're likely not going to have a noticeable difference in performance between a budget board and a highest end board (there can be a bit however) but if you say wanted more features, better overclocking capability etc. then it pays to get a better board.

4. What makes a better PSU?
Lots of things really, without going into detail, one that is made well, with good quality components, that performs well under various stress test conditions.
If a PSU is cheap, there is usually a reason why it is cheap. And poor quality power supplies cause all manner of problems, including blowing and taking out the rest of the system. (See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/ )

The CX is basically the best price point PSU of good quality you can get. So it's the minimum that most enthusiasts would recommend for a gaming system as it is still good quality, just not the best. That's what Corsair make the RMx, AX, etc. for. For example I run a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, which is an excellent, just like a Corsair RMx for example.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Question:
Let's assume there's more budget. Between the best bios flashback option in a B450 and this X570, would it be worth it for me to spend that much considering my needs? Is that X570 a good option? Or would it be better to put less money on a good B450?