Question Needing help with CPU cooling?

AmazyCrazy

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
Hi, I'm running a core i5 7600K with the stock low profile cooler and my temps seem to be getting up to around 100C under load, I noticed this when playing some games today. I'm wanting to know what CPU cooler would work best for my situation, my case is a Fractal Designs Define r4 or 5 it as one intake and one exhaust fan and my MB is an ASUS Maximus VII Ranger

Thanks in advance for the help :)

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
You should never use a low profile cooler for gaming, those coolers are for computers with small cases that are used in offices with air-conditioning running 24/7.

Any high-performance cooler will work for you.

This one can serve as reference :

https://www.amazon.com/quiet-Dark-Rock-BK022-Cooler/dp/B07BY6F8D9?th=1

I find it interesting that one would link to a 90 DOLLAR cooler for an outdated 7600k / claim it requires high performance cooler. Totally unessecary mismatch , doesnt make any financial sense concidering its tdp and age. You can cool that thing fine and fairly quiet with a 12 dollar arctic alpine 12 (co), and i know because i've used them. It's a worthy upgrade over stock and comes with preapplied mx2. Even stock will do but OP thermal paste probably in need of replacement / dust clogging or one of the pushpins is not secured properly / case fans mounted backward, we can only guess.

Last edited:

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
@jeremy0118 That one will work just fine for gaming?

Yes if you did not overclock the cpu then an arctic alpine 12 will cool your 7600k just fine. The 7600k is socket 1151 and that cooler is compatible. it has significantly better fanblades / bearings/paste/ more metal and can cool 20 to 30 degredes cooler than stock intel crap. and it can often be found under 10 dollar.

AmazyCrazy

Reputable
Jun 8, 2019
nope, no overclocking that kind of stuff isn't for me so. currently using the stock LP cooler with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut but for safety sake would prefer a better cooling option and thus will go with the one you suggested.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremy0118
Hi, I'm running a core i5 7600K with the stock low profile cooler and my temps seem to be getting up to around 100C under load, I noticed this when playing some games today. I'm wanting to know what CPU cooler would work best for my situation, my case is a Fractal Designs Define r4 or 5 it as one intake and one exhaust fan and my MB is an ASUS Maximus VII Ranger

Thanks in advance for the help :)
Do you have a preference for air or water cooling? Do you need a cooler that can be transferred to a much higher end CPU when you eventually upgrade, or would you rather just buy what you need right now?

I find it interesting that one would link to a 90 DOLLAR cooler for an outdated 7600k / claim it requires high performance cooler.
Totally unessecary mismatch , doesnt make any financial sense concidering its tdp and age.
You can cool that thing fine and fairly quiet with a 12 dollar arctic alpine 12 (co), and i know because i've used them.
Although Dark Rock 4 Pro is definitely excessive for cooling down non-overclocked i5 7600K,
the alternative proposed here - Arctic Alpine 12 is in no way better than Intel stock cooler. Same garbage.

Go with standard heat-pipe tower cooler instead - like
Deepcool Gammaxx 400 or​
Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo.​

it very much is a step up from intel stock , in terms of both noise and temps, calling them the same is just stupid.
on load its 20 to 30 degredes diffrence. at least it will stay far below the throttle temp on a 7600k and that while spinning max 2700 rpm
They're basically the same -
same design,​
same materials​
Basic aluminum block with a fan slapped onto it. No heatpipes, no use of copper.

The only difference is weight. 180g on Intel stock cooler, 270g on Alpine 12.
Is that enough to cause significant thermal performance difference?

20-30C difference? That's obvious BS.
Show some reviews.

First, find out why your cooling is changing.
If the stock cooler used to be OK, then your cooler has likely come loose and needs to be remounted properly.

That said, a better cooler is appropriate, if for nothing else to keep cooler fan noise down. Or if you are overclocking.

You have a very nice case that can accommodate virtually any air cooler.
I might suggest a noctua tower of some sort.

I find it interesting that one would link to a 90 DOLLAR cooler for an outdated 7600k / claim it requires high performance cooler. Totally unessecary mismatch , doesnt make any financial sense concidering its tdp and age. You can cool that thing fine and fairly quiet with a 12 dollar arctic alpine 12 (co), and i know because i've used them. It's a worthy upgrade over stock and comes with preapplied mx2. Even stock will do but OP thermal paste probably in need of replacement / dust clogging or one of the pushpins is not secured properly / case fans mounted backward, we can only guess.

It seems that I pasted the wrong link, the cooler I referenced only costs $49 or so (Pure Rock, not Dark Rock).

My apologies.