Honorable
Jun 27, 2017
So, right now my build looks like this:
FX8300
GA 970-ds3p MoBo
2x4 GB ddr3 1600MHz
GTX1060 3GB
Corsair CX450w bronze psu

I want to upgrade this build to be able to play new gen games at a better perfomance (right now I'm looking forward cod mw), so at this moment I only intend to change the MoBo, RAM and CPU, this is what I had in my mind:
Ryzen 5 2600
Asus prime a320M-k MoBo
2x8 corsair vengeance LPX 2400 MHz

Question is: I know almost nothing about MoBo and I have no idea if the one I intend to buy is good or not (I've been told to get a B450 instead of a A320, but idk if I would have impact on perfomance), also, I also want to futurely buy a GTX 1660, if that happens, is the rest of my build a good combo with it? Will I have to get a new PSU?
And while I do not get a gtx 1660, the way my build is going to be after I buy those new parts, do you guys think I'll have good performance on games like BFV or the new cod mw? All I need is constant 60 fps, never cared too much about graphics, but it would be cool to be able to play on something more than the lowest presets.
ps: I know I probably don't need 16GB of ram for gaming, but it helps out with stuff on college, so I'll give myself this trait.

Solution
B450 is a newer chipset so it supports Ryzen 2000 series processors out of the box whereas the older A320 boards need a bios update which requires a Ryzen 1000 series chip. Therefore you would need to buy 2 processors to use an A320 board. A GTX 1660 is not as powerful as the CPU can support but a good card for the budget so solid choice with room to upgrade. As for RAM 16gb is basically the ideal nowadays and the price jump to it is definitely worth it. The only thing i would say is make sure to find faster clocked ram look for 3000+ MHz as Ryzen chips really need fast ram to perform their best. By all means get a new PSU as your new system will draw too much for it and it is likely well past warranty.

As for the performance of the...
B450 is a newer chipset so it supports Ryzen 2000 series processors out of the box whereas the older A320 boards need a bios update which requires a Ryzen 1000 series chip. Therefore you would need to buy 2 processors to use an A320 board. A GTX 1660 is not as powerful as the CPU can support but a good card for the budget so solid choice with room to upgrade. As for RAM 16gb is basically the ideal nowadays and the price jump to it is definitely worth it. The only thing i would say is make sure to find faster clocked ram look for 3000+ MHz as Ryzen chips really need fast ram to perform their best. By all means get a new PSU as your new system will draw too much for it and it is likely well past warranty.

As for the performance of the build you should be able to play most modern games on high settings at 1080p and maintain 60FPS

Solution

Ajj___

Honorable
Jun 27, 2017

As for the performance of the build you should be able to play most modern games on high settings at 1080p and maintain 60FPS
Ok, thanks for the answer.
But should I get a new PSU even without buying the GTX1660? Beacuse my PSU is the only new thing in build, so it would be cool if I could keep it for a little more.
Also, isn't it possible to increase RAM speed with the XMP? idk id that's possible on this MoBo, but isn't it a option? getting 2X8gb 3000MHz RAM is almost 2x more expensive than the 2x8 2400MHz that I was planning (note that I live in Brazil, prices haven't changed much since RAM crysis), but ok I get it 2400MHz, pumping up to 2666 MHz is good increase? because that's a cost I can afford, perhaps even 2933.

Last edited: