[SOLVED] Needing some insight on a Graphics card issue I encountered

Feb 7, 2021
Hello all! Thanks for taking time to read this, lord knows I need help from this community. I recently built a custom PC as I felt the coronavirus and all these stimulus checks was an optimal time to do so. I was terribly wrong with these jacked up card prices. That being said I ran into an issue that took some serious troubleshooting. I slapped together a PC and turned it on, it worked fine and posted on first start up. Installed windows, did updates, etc. Everything going well to that point. I decided to boot up into the BIOS and flip on XMP since my ram sticks were running at 2100mhz instead of the 3600mhz listed on the box. After I clicked save and exit I got a black screen with no post...

Did loads of troubleshooting and facepalming. Slapped an old graphics card into it, and it booted up just fine. Some reason my NEW EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra was no longer being recognized and I was getting the beep codes and status light to confirm this. Out of desperation I returned this card during my return window for a full refund. So the thing I'm scared of is that I still don't know why that occurred... I have a RTX 2070 Super on the way to my house as we speak and I dont want the same thing to occur. Its already sad enough that I had to return my card and they had no stock to replace that card and I had to downgrade, but I want to run my ram sticks at a higher frequency. Should I be worried about messing with the ram stick frequency? Did I most likely do something else to brick the first card I got? What should I do to play it safe this time? Any guides or videos I should watch before tinkering? Thanks

On a side note, I didnt download the drivers for the graphics card before I went into the BIOS and did that XMP save. After that occurred I tried downloading the drivers for the card with a different graphics card in the PC but I couldnt because the Nvidia launcher wouldnt let me download drivers for that card while detecting a different card in my system.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 3800X CPU
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi MB
850W Corsair Gold Rated PSU
Mastercooler ML240 RGB V2 CPU Cooler
x3 Corsair 140mm RGB iCUE fans
x2 Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz LPX 16Gb DDR4 Ram (8gb ea stick)
250gb WD m.2 nvme SSD (with OS on it)
1Tb Gigabyte Aorus m.2 nvme SSD
Windows 10 64bit OS

First Card I returned: EVGA RTX 3070 Xc3 Ultra
Card on the way: EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3
Card currently in my build: AMD Radeon 7770 HD Laugh at me if you will =P, its the only card I had laying around but at least I know my PC works.

Hmm...
Have you tried elevating ram frequencies slowly, or did you emmediately jump to 3600mhz from 2133mhz?
Try putting it to 2666mhz, if it all works then go to 2933mhz, then 3200mhz and at last 3600mhz.
Before doing thay reset the cmos battery.
Likely there is nothing wrong with the gpu's.

Feb 7, 2021
Hmm...
Have you tried elevating ram frequencies slowly, or did you emmediately jump to 3600mhz from 2133mhz?
Try putting it to 2666mhz, if it all works then go to 2933mhz, then 3200mhz and at last 3600mhz.
Before doing thay reset the cmos battery.
Likely there is nothing wrong with the gpu's.
I clicked the XMP button in my BIOS and it immediately jumped it up to the rating of the ram sticks. I didn't try to manually go up slowly as I thought that button would be fine.

Reactions: Dj0gany