zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
You will need a new motherboard.

Not only will Nehalem have a very different socket, but it will have an integrated memory controller, unlike current architectures. On pre-Nehalem Intel, the memory controller is in the northbridge chip (that X48 chip, in this case).

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
lol can't go a day with out seeing the word "Nehalem" on the forums!!!!! Just joking but its true :). Can't wait till the day I get one these babies! It going be a long (around 2-3 years) wait for affordable prices but will be well worth the wait!

Nehalem chips only use Nehalem motherboards and vise visa. Nehalem is a new architecture (species) of computer technology. Don't think anything pre existing of Nehalem technology will be compatible with Nehalem like the x86 and x64 (older chips/mobos) architecture. Goodbye FSB :).

How can you OC without a FSB? ^ . ^

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008

You increase the Quickpath base frequency. The CPU will be an multiple of this base frequency as well, so overclocking that base frequency will increase both the memory frequency and the cpu frequency. That's my understanding at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong.