Nehalem is officialy Core i7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

You mean your awesome truck. A iTruck would be like a Honda Ridgeline. Not good for much.

Either way until I see it on Intels website I wont believe this. I don't care about the naming scheme but more about the performance.

Hy guys weirdest thing....I went to Intels site and looked up Core i7 and found this:

i7 - Optimized for Intel® Itanium® processor family

http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/libraries/ipp/sb/CS-025996.htm

Aslo notice the link to that site says this :

The official announcement date of core i7 will become 11 August , and the release of such CPU is planned to the fourth quarter of the present year.

Yet we know Intel plans on a third quarter release for Nehalem. This just smells fishy to me.

Core i7.... Meh it would be an ok name.

According to some sites we should know if this is true or not on August 11th as thats the date Intel is "supposed" to announce this.

I don't think it is their 7th-generation Pentium processor, either.

By architecture:
1st-generation Pentium = P5 Pentium
2nd-generation Pentium = Pentium Pro
3nd-generation Pentium = Pentium II
4rd-generation Pentium = Pentium III
5th-generation Pentium = Pentium 4 i686, 20-21 stages (Willamette/Northwood)
6th-generation Pentium = P6+ Pentium M/Pentium Dual Core (Yonah)
7th-generation Pentium = Pentium 4/D EM64T, 34 stages (Prescott/Smithfield, Cedar Mill/Presler)
8th-generation Pentium = Core-based Pentium Dual Core (Merom-2M/Allendale)

That would put Nehalem as a ninth-generation Pentium if any Nehalem-based chips were sold under the Pentium moniker.

By brand name:
1st-generation Pentium = P5 Pentium
2nd-generation Pentium = Pentium Pro
3nd-generation Pentium = Pentium II
4rd-generation Pentium = Pentium III
5th-generation Pentium = Pentium 4
6th-generation Pentium = Pentium M
7th-generation Pentium = Pentium D
8th-generation Pentium = Pentium Dual Core

That would also put Nehalem as an ninth-generation Pentium.

About the only way I can see Intel calling the Nehalem a seventh-generation Pentium is if they ignore the Pentium Pro as it is a server processor and lump together the pretty-dissimilar P4/Pentium D revisions as all being NetBurst and one generation. They could also lump together the PPro, PII, and PIII all under the heading of "P6," in which they should have named the PII "Pentium Pro w/MMX" and the PIII "Pentium Pro w/SSE" as they did with the original Pentium vs. Pentium MMX processors. That would have made 32-bit NetBurst the third Pentium revision, P6+ the fourth revision, EM64T NetBurst the fifth revision, and Core the sixth revision.

Nothing necessarily wrong with Core 3... but then I'm not the one making the decisions at Intel. I only said the name made sense, not that it was good.

I agree their naming schemes have been poor ever since the Pentium M in 2003. Most people caught on that the Pentium M had nothing to do with the original P5 Pentium, but this was the start of the ambiguous naming schemes. The Pentium M was for "Mobile" as was the Celeron M. That's fine. But when the D in Celeron D was for "Desktop" and the D in Pentium D was for "Dual-core," people got quite confused and for good reason. It got much worse when the Core 2 came out. The Core Solo and Core Duo were easy enough for people to understand as the Core Solo was a single-core chip and the Core Duo was a dual-core chip. The Core 2 confused the snot out of people at first as quite a few couldn't tell how many cores or CPUs they had based on the name. I remember hearing the "does the Core 2 mean it has two cores?" and "Does a Core 2 Duo have two dual-core processors in it?" bit a lot in late 2006 until people understood that Core 2 was the brand and had nothing to do with the number of cores in the chip. And then try to explain to a new techie that Core chips use the P6+ uArch while Core 2 chips use the Core uArch. I'll betcha a bunch of people will think that a "Core i7" has seven cores at first and be bewildered at finding out it actually has two or four cores.

Personally, I'd have used a new name that was unambiguous. Pentium 5 would have been a natural as people know that Pentium and then a number is the brand. The "i-and-a-number scheme would have been great if the number would have been the number of cores. And then do what they used to do and prefix it with "mobile" if it is a mobile chip:

Pentium 5 i2 = Nehalem-based dual-core desktop chip
Pentium 5 i4 = Nehalem-based quad-core desktop chip
Pentium 5 i8 = Nehalem-based eight-core desktop chip
Mobile Pentium 5 i2 = Nehalem-based dual-core laptop chip
Mobile Pentium 5 i4 = Nehalem-based quad-core laptop chip

This extends well for newer chips as well:

Pentium 6 i2 = Sandy Bridge-based dual-core desktop chip
etc.

superchris7

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
It's official. Here is the link from Intel's site with a press release dated for tomorrow.

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20080811comp.htm?iid=SEARCH

ci7_78.gif

iWant an i7!

Well considering how long Intel has been working on Nehalem ( a long long time since back in the P4 days if not before) it could have meaning to it.

That or Intel took a hat dropped in name ideas and picked this one.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Given that Intel's marketing team is practically a power house... from the widely accepted "Pentium" logo, to the successful Core 2 Duo. I'm sure there's a very good reason of naming Nehalem "Core i7".

To be honest, I dislike the new naming scheme as well.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Strange decision.

They have a helluva good rep with Core 2.

It would make all the sense in the world to go with Core 3.

In my opinion (maybe this is a bit conspiracy theory or whatever), the marketing people have made this decision so they can justify their expenditure. Bad bad bad decision with little logic.

Well it still has the Core name. And considering how most people are they will see the 7 more than the i and think "Wow it must be better than a Core 2 since its a higher number".

Just like the CPUs naming E6300 is low E6800 is higher and better and Phenom 9150e is low end and Phenom 9950 is the high end.

Its all marketing and strategy and I must say the i and the 7 make sense. Keep Core as its well imbeded to be a good chip and add the i like Apple does along with the 7 as a higher number.

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I think they just put the "7" in place to put the new Gainestown and Bloomfield processors toward the high end of a single digit performance scale, and they'll probably fill in the "i3", "i5", etc. as they release lower performing processors in that family.

But it's Marketing. I am continuously impressed with their ability to deliver the unexpected, and they did not fail to deliver this time.