Question neighbor with a drill

Mar 8, 2021
I have a brand new computer and it wasn't exactly cheap. And that's why I'm afraid he won't be destroyed right away. My neighbors drill for at least half an hour every day. with such force that I feel the floor under my feet moving and vibrating the table on which the PC stands. it irritates me already, it's deafening, so I'll probably go to the police with them. and i wonder if that big vibrating table can't hurt the pc. Thx love yaa all <3

Reactions: Sawyer35

kanewolf

Titan
I have a brand new computer and it wasn't exactly cheap. And that's why I'm afraid he won't be destroyed right away. My neighbors drill for at least half an hour every day. with such force that I feel the floor under my feet moving and vibrating the table on which the PC stands. it irritates me already, it's deafening, so I'll probably go to the police with them. and i wonder if that big vibrating table can't hurt the pc. Thx love yaa all <3
A mechanical HDD is the primary component that could be damaged by significant vibrations. If you have only solid state, then you should be at minimal risk.

Reactions: Sawyer35
If you can get a piece of polyurethane foam and put it under the computer that would help. Or maybe underneath the table legs (if the table is not built in). Even a thick blanket/comforter could help. Whatever you use, make sure you aren't blocking any air inlets into the case.

HDD can have issues with vibrations but so can the thermal seals on GPUs and CPUs.

Reactions: LinuxDevice

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
It won't hurt the PC unless something's loose.

what's with middle aged guys and drilling? I mean, drilling for half an hour every day... does he make random holes and then fills them with concrete again? I've never had to drill a wall in order to repair something, so I unironically find that behaviour strange

USAFRet

Titan
It won't hurt the PC unless something's loose.

what's with middle aged guys and drilling? I mean, drilling for half an hour every day... does he make random holes and then fills them with concrete again? I've never had to drill a wall in order to repair something, so I unironically find that behaviour strange
I've drilled holes. Not everything is a 'repair'.

Pilot holes for a TV wall mount. But that was 5 minutes, once.

Apr 20, 2021
i had the same situation. my neighbours were drilling almost a whole year so and when i asked him, he told me that he is doing big renovation. But i suspected and report it to the authorities and it turned out that he reconstructed his house by spliting rooms with idea of renting to multiple people. They hanged a big paper on his windows "illegal construction".. he probably got a fine and hates me :D

Reactions: Endre

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
If you can get a piece of polyurethane foam and put it under the computer that would help. Or maybe underneath the table legs (if the table is not built in). Even a thick blanket/comforter could help. Whatever you use, make sure you aren't blocking any air inlets into the case.

HDD can have issues with vibrations but so can the thermal seals on GPUs and CPUs.
I agree, the more cushioning and stability, the better.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Go to hardware store, get the round felt sticky pads used to prevent furniture from damaging walls and slap 4 of them to the underside of the case feet.

Cops won't do anything, they can't. As long as the noise is done during acceptable working hours, it's not illegal, just annoying. Construction is normally limited from 7 or 8am to 5 or 6pm. That includes loud stereos, Tv's, spouses etc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
i had the same situation. my neighbours were drilling almost a whole year so and when i asked him, he told me that he is doing big renovation. But i suspected and report it to the authorities and it turned out that he reconstructed his house by spliting rooms with idea of renting to multiple people. They hanged a big paper on his windows "illegal construction".. he probably got a fine and hates me :D
He was doing renovation without a permit. You can use a Homeowners Permit to do renovations yourself, and electrical/plumbing and framing all fall under that catagory as well, but a renovation isn't a repair. Minor repairs or non-structural changes don't require a permit.

There's a big difference between replacing a sink or even a cabinet and tearing down/cutting into a load bearing wall. The purpose of the permit isn't for inspection, but to put the work on record for resale, so the building doesn't collapse on the new owner when he hangs a picture.

You did the right thing, don't feel bad at all. You probably saved someone's life.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Considering the amount of wasted time and effort and money the neighbor put into the project, which half of which he'll now have to undue, spending more time, effort and money, just to pass any safety and building inspections, plus any code requirements for changing his single family dwelling into a commercial apartment building, which includes county/local jurisdictions etc, not to mention any court costs and fines levied against him, going next door with a smile and a beer will most likely end up with him getting shot.