Neither CPU nor GPU at 100 while gaming

gameuno

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Hello,

I know that many questions are asked about why people are not getting their GPUs to 100 percent load and most of the time the answer seems to be a CPU bottleneck, but probably not in my case. I have got two GTX 1080s in SLI, an i7 4790k (not overclocked yet) and 16 GB RAM.

The problem is that my GPUs do not go to 100 load, but mostly stay at about 60 to 70, when I am getting 40 to 50 FPS (V-Sync on or off does not matter) I did a fresh install of my OS (was Windows 10, now 8.1), which made no difference. I then did a BIOS reset, which seems to have reduced my problem, but certainly did not solve it. (I do not think I had made changes in the BIOS regarding the CPU) I have even seen my CPU hit 100 load in Watch Dogs 2 for half a minute or so, I was hitting 58 to 60 FPS, but then CPU usage and FPS went down out of nowhere. (Has happened several times now) Has anybody a good hint for me, I am out of ideas...

Atomicdonut17

Reputable
Feb 4, 2017

A few things:

SLI is a bit picky, I've found. It really likes to give you pains with not syncing info correctly between cards, and more often then not will lead to performance decrease. However, when it works, SLI is a pretty nice donkey kick to a game's crotch: *when it works*.

Do you have temps for us? Often times, when the cards/CPU get too hot, they'll throttle the voltage deliverance, so as to try and not bake themselves into oblivion, but you'll see the performance difference.

Do you have an overclocking program (Like FireStorm or something of the like) for your GPUs? Do you know the voltage of your CPU, at the moment? Using one of these manufacturer specific programs, you can probably clock the card to an appropriate setting, or make sure it's clocked to its factory, or out-of-the-box OC. And, the last thing is pretty obvious.

gameuno

Prominent
May 1, 2017

Ive thought about thermal throttling myself, so I changed the FAN speeds. My CPU now is at 50 degrees (was at 60 before, but no improvements) Celsius, GPUs at about 70 and 60. Unfortunatly I currently do not now the voltage of my CPU, but the frequency goes up to 4.20 GHz. My GPUs are not overclocked either and the power target in EVGA Precision X (My cards are from EVGA, that is the official system monitoring and overclocking software from them) is set to 100 percent. And one very important thing I forgot: The problem also occurs without SLI enabled.