Neo: Quad-Core, 5.3-Inch, HD 13-MP Android Smartphone Leaked, Costs $160

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregck

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
While this may seem tempting, chi-pads and chi-phones are made with inferior parts and will not be nearly as good as their legitimate competitors. This may seem obvious, but some of these cheap chinese android tablets/phones look damn scrumptious.

G

what gregck said is right.

also, the mediatek quad core SOCs are using cortex a-17 cores. not that great performance. and a not so great GPU as well is used.

china phones tend to also skimp on quality of glass used. there are high quality china phones, but their price is higher...sometimes very close to "real" phones

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
I have gone to a lot of china made/brand phones with Android on it. They are quite worth it. Of course they are not as well rounded (A balanced GPU + CPU for example.) but will serve you well if you want a specific thing on it .

Anyway back to the article. The third paragraph has some bizarre wording

"Its screen, however, offers a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels rather than 1080 pixels. "

Do you mean 1080p (1920x1080p)? It's just badly worded all around.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I think he's saying the screen is HD (1280x720) as opposed to full HD (1080p).

I find it really awesome that you can get a phone with such high specs like this considering there are worst phones on the US market that cost more subsidized with a contract

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this may not be the best phone out there, but its looking like a damn fine backup phone to have lying around. you can spend more on a worse phone.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
You know, if you are not due for an upgrade or want to avoid a contract altogether, this is not a bad option. You know it is not a top level device, so hopefully expectations would be lower. I can definitely see this as a beginner phone for teens or a backup device.

ajrm

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Not sure how reliable or well rounded chinese phones are,but there are a few Indian manufacturers that do a brilliant job of packaging a balanced product at really affordable prices, I own a Xperia Mini and its brilliant but I am kicking my self for buying it just for the brand value.. Micromax is one such Indian company that makes really good Android phones such as this one http://tech2.in.com/features/smartphones/micromax-a116-canvas-hd-a-specifications-review/705342 , planning on ditching my Mini running JB for this...
costs about 15000 INR which is a little less than $300 .. Some pitting it to be one of the Android phones around..

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]sangonana[/nom]what gregck said is right.also, the mediatek quad core SOCs are using cortex a-17 cores. not that great performance. and a not so great GPU as well is used. china phones tend to also skimp on quality of glass used. there are high quality china phones, but their price is higher...sometimes very close to "real" phones[/citation]

Actually, the GPU is excellent. PowerVR 544MP. The A-7 may be kinda meh though.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Too big. I just don't have pockets that large that I can wear all year round.[/citation]

Even my Nexus 7 fits in all of my pockets. Sorry, I just don't see it being difficult to carry something that is much smaller.

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
In the next month or two, I'll be looking to get a nice, inexpensive Android smartphone for my daughter, so at least maybe I can get back the Nexus tablet, for my use.

Though did anyone think that kinda looks like an I-Phone, past models. Boy, would like too see Apple try to sue the company back in China, the company's home turf. But, most likely if they tried that, the gov't would sanction Apple instead.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]BewareOfButtlice[/nom]Samsung should jump on the apple bandwagon and sue them because it looks too similar to the Galaxy S3 with a few differences...[/citation]
sure, sue because its a white rectangle with rounded edges...

the capacitive buttons make it look very different from a S3.

Status
Not open for further replies.