Nepton 280L liquidcooler stuck at max speed

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Hi, i have a problem with my Nepton 280L liquidcooler. I recently built my new gaming pc and everything has worked fine the first month. But now for some reason, the two 140mm fans and the pump/block is running at full speed all the time! I was able to control the speed before using Asus`s, AI suite III, but know i just get a big exclamation mark and im not able to control them at all :l
nv3xjq.png

I do not know what has happened, and its starting to be a bit annoying with all the noice the two big fans are creating.

Any help appreciated!

Solution

Youre probably right. But i dont trust myself to do it i think :l Is it hard to do a BIOS flashback if ive never done anything like it before?

I did make a temporary fix tough, wich seems like it has worked, since i can almost not hear the fans anymore. i used two cables that limit the fan speeds to 1200 rpm. strange thing is that the oc panel still says that the fans are running at 7200 rpm?
Try flashing the BIOS, then reinstalling the fan controlling software. You might want to backup your settings to your hard drive if you can. Also, you have to put the BIOS file on a flash drive formatted with FAT32.

EDIT: Try selecting "Silent" for the default fan profile as well.

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Are there no other choises or things i could do before flashing the bios? I read that if i were to mess it up it would most likely permanently damage the computer or even make it unbootable... Is there anything else i can do before i try that?

EDIT: I have tried the different profiles, and also checked in the BIOS

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

I use the OC panel wich comes with the motherboard, to view cpu speed and baseclock speed. But it cant controll the speed of the fans, unless they are directly connected to the OC panel itself.
Just to mention btw. Both the OC panel and the software on my pc says the cpu cooler runs at 7200-7300 rpm all the time, wich seems a bit high considering that the max rpm the two 140mm fans are capable of is 2000 i assume?

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Nope, they are still stuck at full speed :(

Could the problem be that the fans are connected to CPU_OPT and OPT_FAN 1 on the motherboard instead of CHA_FAN 1, 2 or 3 ? Though that still doesnt explain why the water block is at full throtle aswell because that is connected to the CPU_FAN Connector.

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Youre probably right. But i dont trust myself to do it i think :l Is it hard to do a BIOS flashback if ive never done anything like it before?

I did make a temporary fix tough, wich seems like it has worked, since i can almost not hear the fans anymore. i used two cables that limit the fan speeds to 1200 rpm. strange thing is that the oc panel still says that the fans are running at 7200 rpm?

Solution

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Yes, it has a button on the bottom wich can change, though i am not really shure how to use it. Maybe you know?

EDIT: i connected one of the fans to CHA_FAN 1 and i am able to controll it now :D i could eventually use a splitter to controll both fans from that one connector if possible. Tough the pump/block is still running on max wich i guess may get fixed by switching bios or flash it?

Try switching to the 2nd BIOS by pushing the little button just before the POST.

EDIT: If that doesn't work, switch back to the 1st BIOS and flash.

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

ok, i will try that

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Ok, so the second bios didnt do much of a difference... it only had a few pre- overclocked settings on it.
If i do flash the bios, does anything happen on the machine itself, do i loose my files or does anything else happen. Are there any negative side of flashing your bios, what happens if it fails or an error occurs?

I did find a tab in the bios called BIOS flashback, when i opened it i had 2 choises: FOrced BIOS2 boot, and Copy BIOS1 to BIOS2. I would imagine the second option just copies the settings i have set in the first bios to the second one, like a backup if you are testing the different options? Sorry that im asking a lot of questions at the same time, im just really scared if something were to happen, and my machine would be dead if i do anything wrong....

Edit: The only problem left as i already said, is that the pump is running at full speed, it makes this strange buzzing noise wich i guess is the pump inside working. I dont really mind it and i doubt i will hear it when i put my sidepanel back on. Is it bad for the pump to run at max, because if it does not shorten the lifetime or creates any other problem i would just let be like that.

Your data: I recommend unplugging the hard drive before you flash just in case.
BIOS: FOrced BIOS2 boot forces the computer to boot off the 2nd BIOS chip.
Copy BIOS1 to BIOS2 overwrites the BIOS on the 2nd BIOS chip with the BIOS on the 1st chip.
Overview: HDD: Unplug All
BIOS: Copy BIOS1 to BIOS2 then load default settings then flash. Note: The BIOS file MUST be on a flash drive formatted with FAT32.

ullert

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Ok so i did the flashback, but it still didnt work. Now, i talked with some people over at the cooler master forum, and they told me that the pump is crafted for, and supposed to be running at full speed. i am not sure what made it possible for me to controll them in the first place, but it seems like its working properly now.
Thanks for all the help! :)

(i dont really know what to pick as the solution now? :l )