nervous to install windows updates

synario

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
So after building my PC i installed 201 windows 7 updates, including all optional.

I woke up and my computer booted into a endless 'reverting changes' error, which I watch for 2 hours.

So I reinstalled windows.

Maybe if I just install all the non-optional updates it won't be slow and wont' have issues.

Ugh

I highly recommend at this point signing up using an Image recovery protocol. That's a fancy way of saying save an image backup as is, so you can revert to it quickly (15 minutes) as needed when u run into these kind of trouble, either to another partition or to an external. I use Macrium myself (free) but there are others.

1. So THIS save will be your Fresh Install Copy, and which you can go back to anytime, including when you sell the machine.
2. Then yes, do the CRITICAL updates, then save again.
3. Then update the rest, but not the optionals, and once again, save.

From now on, any trouble, just go back to the last known-to-be-good image. Virus? RESTORE, BSOD? RESTORE, no sleep/wakeup correctly? RESTORE, long boot/shutdown? RESTORE. furgit spending mega-time trying the troubleshoot the dang thing.

Recommend OS+App ONLY on C: and the rest somewhere else.

You can do this using Windows' built-in tools but I find them harder to use, and takes longer to restore, both of which won't entice you to stick with it.

synario

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Are you sure it causes issues??

When I resinstalled windows 7 I deleted the old partition (basically I wiped my hard drive clean) and made a new one, so I'm fine?

dragotx

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

Yeah, when you're installing onto a blank partition you are fine. I think what adam was refering to is installing windows over the top of itself. Which isn't very easy to do anymore, it'll move the old installation to windows.old instead of just copying files over each other.