Nestle to Find UK Customers via GPS Chips in Candy Bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

murzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]lol, what if you gots the runs and crap out the chip beofre they have a chance to track you down?[/citation]

Erm.. I doubt it it will be IN the bar.

I suspect when the buyer gets one of these, he knows it right away, because he won't unwrap a candy bar, but an obvious "device."
I wonder if a metal detector, theramin, or some other simple device will be able to detect a "chipped" bar before purchase? You wouldn't be looking for the chip, but for the battery powering it.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]They'll probably find the majority of them in the bottom of trashcans.[/citation]

Actually the consumer will swallow them. :)

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]I suspect when the buyer gets one of these, he knows it right away, because he won't unwrap a candy bar, but an obvious "device."I wonder if a metal detector, theramin, or some other simple device will be able to detect a "chipped" bar before purchase? You wouldn't be looking for the chip, but for the battery powering it.[/citation]

That makes a lot of sense. I was also wondering if there would be actual candy on the inside or just the form of the supposed candy but in a hollow like state and the gps is inside it. Otherwise people will start touching all candy bars to "cope a feel" of the GPS inside lol.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I'm totally OK with a company breaking my privacy, and tracking me down without my permission, so long as the reason behind it all is to give me a bunch of money.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Granted, by purchasing the bar, you are probably agreeing to some wording on the wrapper that they don't need your permission to track you down for your prize...

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Granted, by purchasing the bar, you are probably agreeing to some wording on the wrapper that they don't need your permission to track you down for your prize...[/citation]
Im not so sure about that. A person has a resonable right to privacy, and not everyone reads all the microscopic print on a candybar wrapper. Just because I hang a sign above my door that states you agree to give me all your money by entering my house, doesnt make it legally binding.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Well, best buy can post a sign and print all the gory details of their restocking fees on the back of your receipt. I'm sure most people don't read that, yet they are still subject to the restocking fee if they return an open box item [granted, this is an out-of-date example, given that Best Buy dropped their restocking fee over a year ago...]

schiwing

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
THERE IS NO CANDY BAR!

At first I was going crazy because a bunch of people did not read the article; there is no candy with a chip inside.

After second glance, I say the blame lies with the author, Jane McEntegart, for using an erroneous title.
S.B. Jane...

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Why is this creepy?

The winner can't miss the fricken GPS chip in there, right? It probably comes with a note too. Instead of the winner making a call, they come to you, instead. Don't worry, they won't bust down your door or anything. They're not 5-O. Jesus!

If I was working at a shopping mall or something like that, I would weigh every single chocolate bar and see if there's a difference in weight. Then split the $10.000 with someone else (because they are not allowed to participate in promotional events). A metal detector may work too, since they're bound to have some metal - like circuitry, the antennae, the battery, etc.

G

I don't care how obvious they make it that you've just won a prize. You know some clueless person is going to unwrap it and return it to the store for a refund because there's no candy in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.