.NET Framework Issue + HKEY Software related problems.

Sudice

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I downloaded the latest version of Nexus Mod Manager which prompted me to download .NET framework 4.6, I installed it up until the very last minute when the window changed and said "Can't install wrong perimeters set"

I then tried installing .NET framework 4.6.1 and I got this error message "HRSESULT 0x80240017"

After googling for a while and I found I had to either re-install windows (which I really don't want to do) Or the fix for this problem is simply out of my league.

I then found that it could be fixed by doing a simple "Refresh PC" which won't work, it prepares then I get the Error saying "Nothing has been changed"

I tried running this command from the Advanced Options in CMD
"cd %windier%\system32\config"
"ren system system.001"
ren software software.001"

I was told that this would fix the Refresh PC error, but when I typed the last command, the prompt said "software is currently in use and can't be changed"

I tried installing a much earlier version of Nexus Mod manager as I found my current .Net Framework version is 4.5.2. But it's not having any of it.

I'm not so much fussed about that not working as I am that something is wrong with my baby :( (meaning PC) and I don't want this issue to later snowball into bigger ones.

I'll provide any information needed for a solution, obviously.

And if it turns out that I need to reinstall Windows. could somehow please give me a solid way to backup all my stuff, so that when I reinstall I can just get my old crap back. (I'm not that computer savvy and I'm sure I could just google how to do it, but I'd love confirmation off one of you guys)

Solution
To get the sfc /scannow or Windows Repair Tool to work I just had to go into services and set "Windows Module Installer" to manual and force start it.

Sudice

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
To get the sfc /scannow or Windows Repair Tool to work I just had to go into services and set "Windows Module Installer" to manual and force start it.

Solution