Status
Not open for further replies.

Cswa

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I received a Windows Update nag for a .NET1.1 Security Fix which could not complete. On the web, I read that I needed to uninstall .NET1.1 re-install it using a MS-Tool that changes all the references.

I did that (PS and had to re-install half a dozen previously working programs) and indeed .NET1.1 could be re-installed which fixed the issue with Window Update.

A few moments later I received the same type of Update nag again, this time for an Update to .NET3.5. I tried to uninstall .NET3.5 using the Add/Remove Programs and it appeared to uninstall. Now I cannot uninstall .NET3.5 or install it either. It does not show in Add/Remove Programs, but the .NET3.5 installer claims that it is already installed.

What should I do?

Solution
This is a reply to myself, because I managed to fix the problem, by the mercy of those on the web who had the same problem and posted their experience online and Aaron Stebner who wrote the application which removes all traces of particular .NET Installations.

What I did was download the .NET-Clean Up Tool

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Then I ran the tool selecting only the .NET3.5 Installation (.NET1.1 was fine). The Tool did its magic, and when I ran the downloaded MS .NET3.5 Installation exe, this time there was no remnant of the .NET3.5 Installation to goof the fresh Install. Once this was done, then Windows Update was happy and stopped claiming that some Updates...

Cswa

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
This is a reply to myself, because I managed to fix the problem, by the mercy of those on the web who had the same problem and posted their experience online and Aaron Stebner who wrote the application which removes all traces of particular .NET Installations.

What I did was download the .NET-Clean Up Tool

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Then I ran the tool selecting only the .NET3.5 Installation (.NET1.1 was fine). The Tool did its magic, and when I ran the downloaded MS .NET3.5 Installation exe, this time there was no remnant of the .NET3.5 Installation to goof the fresh Install. Once this was done, then Windows Update was happy and stopped claiming that some Updates were not Installed.

If anyone out there has the same problem, check this out.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.