Net Framework Update

Scott

I see where Windows Update for my Win XP Pro laptop wants to
install "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3" from Sept
2004. Is there any reason why I have to have this update?

Thanks!
Scott

Yes. There were some serious security flaws in the earlier version - if
you need the framework, update it (some fairly common software such as
the later versions of Drive Image and ATI's Catalyst Control Center,
require it - they were written for dot net --- whatever that is this week).

Scott wrote:
> I see where Windows Update for my Win XP Pro laptop wants to
> install "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3" from Sept
> 2004. Is there any reason why I have to have this update?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Ben,

I ran the update to .NET 1.1 on my XP Pro GW desktop, as it was shown
as an optional update. However, upon bootup, when the Welcome screen
came on, it wanted me to click on the current administrator (or something
like that), which I've never done before. It has always just shown
the blue Welcome screen and continued booting. Also, my logon sound
disappeared. So, I did a "Restore" back to just before the update, and
everything is working as it was before. So maybe I don't even need
or want this update. I don't use Drive Image. And maybe it's better to
stick with the old adage: "If it ain't broke...don't fix it" :)

Scott

"Edward J. Neth" wrote:

> Yes. There were some serious security flaws in the earlier version - if
> you need the framework, update it (some fairly common software such as
> the later versions of Drive Image and ATI's Catalyst Control Center,
> require it - they were written for dot net --- whatever that is this week).
>
> Scott wrote:
> > I see where Windows Update for my Win XP Pro laptop wants to
> > install "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3" from Sept
> > 2004. Is there any reason why I have to have this update?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Hippie

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

Scott wrote:
> Ben,
>
> I ran the update to .NET 1.1 on my XP Pro GW desktop, as it was shown
> as an optional update. However, upon bootup, when the Welcome screen
> came on, it wanted me to click on the current administrator (or something
> like that), which I've never done before. It has always just shown
> the blue Welcome screen and continued booting. Also, my logon sound
> disappeared. So, I did a "Restore" back to just before the update, and
> everything is working as it was before. So maybe I don't even need
> or want this update. I don't use Drive Image. And maybe it's better to
> stick with the old adage: "If it ain't broke...don't fix it" :)
>
> Scott
>
> "Edward J. Neth" wrote:
>
>>Yes. There were some serious security flaws in the earlier version - if
>>you need the framework, update it (some fairly common software such as
>>the later versions of Drive Image and ATI's Catalyst Control Center,
>>require it - they were written for dot net --- whatever that is this week).
>>
>>Scott wrote:
>>
>>>I see where Windows Update for my Win XP Pro laptop wants to
>>>install "Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3" from Sept
>>>2004. Is there any reason why I have to have this update?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>Scott

I'd run the update again. Always update!

Then start----run-----"control userpasswords2" ( <---- no quotes!), and
there you can uncheck users must log in with password, it will be like
before.

Scott

hippie wrote:

> Scott wrote:
> > Ben,
> >
> > I ran the update to .NET 1.1 on my XP Pro GW desktop, as it was shown
> > as an optional update. However, upon bootup, when the Welcome screen
> > came on, it wanted me to click on the current administrator (or something
> > like that), which I've never done before. It has always just shown
> > the blue Welcome screen and continued booting. Also, my logon sound
> > disappeared. So, I did a "Restore" back to just before the update, and
> > everything is working as it was before. So maybe I don't even need
> > or want this update. I don't use Drive Image. And maybe it's better to
> > stick with the old adage: "If it ain't broke...don't fix it" :)
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > "Edward J. Neth" wrote:
> >
> >>Yes. There were some serious security flaws in the earlier version - if
> >>you need the framework, update it (some fairly common software such as
> >>the later versions of Drive Image and ATI's Catalyst Control Center,
> >>require it - they were written for dot net --- whatever that is this week).

> I'd run the update again. Always update!
>
> Then start----run-----"control userpasswords2" ( <---- no quotes!), and
> there you can uncheck users must log in with password, it will be like
> before.

hippie,

That sounds good, although with .NET update installed, it didn't ask for a
password at bootup (which I never use). This particular update was listed as
"optional", not critical, by Microsoft. Is there any way to know if I even
need the "framework" setup at all on my system? I don't have any software
that seems to be calling for it, or is not functioning properly.

Scott

Hippie

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

Scott wrote:

> hippie wrote:
>
>>Scott wrote:
>>
>>>Ben,
>>>
>>>I ran the update to .NET 1.1 on my XP Pro GW desktop, as it was shown
>>>as an optional update. However, upon bootup, when the Welcome screen
>>>came on, it wanted me to click on the current administrator (or something
>>>like that), which I've never done before. It has always just shown
>>>the blue Welcome screen and continued booting. Also, my logon sound
>>>disappeared. So, I did a "Restore" back to just before the update, and
>>>everything is working as it was before. So maybe I don't even need
>>>or want this update. I don't use Drive Image. And maybe it's better to
>>>stick with the old adage: "If it ain't broke...don't fix it" :)
>>>
>>>Scott

>>I'd run the update again. Always update!
>>
>>Then start----run-----"control userpasswords2" ( <---- no quotes!), and
>>there you can uncheck users must log in with password, it will be like
>>before.
>

> hippie,
>
> That sounds good, although with .NET update installed, it didn't ask for a
> password at bootup (which I never use). This particular update was listed as
> "optional", not critical, by Microsoft. Is there any way to know if I even
> need the "framework" setup at all on my system? I don't have any software
> that seems to be calling for it, or is not functioning properly.
>
> Scott

Oh..... Look if it's on Add/Remove programs (called "Microsoft .Net
****" ). If you don't have it, no sense in getting it. :) (Until some
software requires it....)

Scott

hippie wrote:

> Scott wrote:
> >
> > hippie wrote:

> >>I'd run the update again. Always update!
> >>
> >>Then start----run-----"control userpasswords2" ( <---- no quotes!), and
> >>there you can uncheck users must log in with password, it will be like
> >>before.
> >

> > hippie,
> >
> > That sounds good, although with .NET update installed, it didn't ask for a
> > password at bootup (which I never use). This particular update was listed as
> > "optional", not critical, by Microsoft. Is there any way to know if I even
> > need the "framework" setup at all on my system? I don't have any software
> > that seems to be calling for it, or is not functioning properly.
> >
> > Scott
>
> Oh..... Look if it's on Add/Remove programs (called "Microsoft .Net
> ****" ). If you don't have it, no sense in getting it. :) (Until some
> software requires it....)

hippie,

You're right! I checked, and it's not listed under Add/Remove programs. The
Update for .NET was a 23mb file, so it was probably the whole program. Since
I don't have any software asking for it, I'll leave it off my computer for
now.
Thanks for your input!

Scott

Hippie

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2004

Scott wrote:

> hippie wrote:
>
>>Scott wrote:

>>>hippie,
>>>
>>>That sounds good, although with .NET update installed, it didn't ask for a
>>>password at bootup (which I never use). This particular update was listed as
>>>"optional", not critical, by Microsoft. Is there any way to know if I even
>>>need the "framework" setup at all on my system? I don't have any software
>>>that seems to be calling for it, or is not functioning properly.
>>>
>>>Scott
>>
>>Oh..... Look if it's on Add/Remove programs (called "Microsoft .Net
>>****" ). If you don't have it, no sense in getting it. :) (Until some
>>software requires it....)
>

> hippie,
>
> You're right! I checked, and it's not listed under Add/Remove programs. The
> Update for .NET was a 23mb file, so it was probably the whole program. Since
> I don't have any software asking for it, I'll leave it off my computer for
> now.
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Scott

No problem.

:)

The .net framework sometimes creates a new user account called asp.net when
it is installed. This will cause your machine to go to the login screen even
if you only have one account and no password. If you reinstall .net and have
that issue again, just go into user accounts and delete the asp.net account.
It is not needed and I think it was just a glitch in earlier verstions.

"Tweek" <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The .net framework sometimes creates a new user account called asp.net
> when it is installed. This will cause your machine to go to the login
> screen even if you only have one account and no password. If you reinstall
> .net and have that issue again, just go into user accounts and delete the
> asp.net account. It is not needed and I think it was just a glitch in
> earlier verstions.

Yep. Thanks for reminding me of a fix for this annoyance that I had
corrected some time ago - but once again resurfaced with the .Net update.

Stew

No problem. It really annoyed me when I first saw it happen on my machine.
For a few days, I never thought of looking in the user accounts to see if
anything was odd there.

> "Tweek" <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The .net framework sometimes creates a new user account called asp.net
>> when it is installed. This will cause your machine to go to the login
>> screen even if you only have one account and no password. If you
>> reinstall .net and have that issue again, just go into user accounts and
>> delete the asp.net account. It is not needed and I think it was just a
>> glitch in earlier verstions.
>>

> Yep. Thanks for reminding me of a fix for this annoyance that I had
> corrected some time ago - but once again resurfaced with the .Net update.
>

> Stew

Scott

Tweek,

Thanks for the good advice. I think, for now, I'll leave .net framework
uninstalled, as none of my software seems to require it.

Scott