NetBEUI and MS Networking Equipment

Is it possible to use NetBEUI to share printers and files between a
Laptop(MN720) and a Desktop(wired to MN700). Both Laptop and Desktop are
running Windows XP Home. (Yes I know that Microsoft doesn't support this
protocol any more.)

I am able to share files and printers between the laptop and desktop this
way using a wired connection, but the two computers don't see each other
when using the wireless connection. The computer browser is running on both
computers. TCP/IP works ok on both computers(in both wired and unwired
setups) to connect to the internet.

In addition, I can share files and printers and connect to the internet just
fine from both wired desktop and wireless laptop if I use only TCP/IP.

I would not even try NetBEUI but I can't get IPX/SPX to work at all for file
and printer sharing on this system.

Dick Kistler

You should make sure to enable Netbios over TCP/IP on all computers (on the
internal LAN interface) and let that take care of it?!

"Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> You should make sure to enable Netbios over TCP/IP on all computers (on
the
> internal LAN interface) and let that take care of it?!

Nope, no effect.

network connections > Wireless Network Connection > disable

Wireless Network Connection > properties > Internet Protocol TCP/IP >
properties > WINS > Enable Netbios over TCP/IP(changed from Default) > OK >
OK > Close

Wireless Network Connection > enable

on both computers-can see own computer, not the other one in My Network
Places >Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Home

Reboot both computers-same story as above-can see own computer, not the
other one. Same as before trying this.

Search for computer: can find own computer, not the other one-on both
computers.

Dick

Is the firewall enabled on either of the computers?

If so, you'll need to disable it (or at least open up the appropriate ports)
so that you can use File Sharing

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

Jason Tsang wrote:
> Is the firewall enabled on either of the computers?
>
> If so, you'll need to disable it (or at least open up the appropriate
> ports) so that you can use File Sharing

Firewall and Antivirus disabled on both computers.

Repeat: 1. Can file and printer share using TCP/IP alone. Also connect to
the internet.
2. Can file and printer share using NetBeui for sharing and
TCP/IP for internet connection if the computers are wired
through basestation.. Can connect to internet from
both computers here too.
3. Can't file and printer share using NetBeui for sharing and
TCP/IP for internet connection if the computers are connected
by wireless through base station. Can connect to
internet on both machines.
4. Can switch network cards on the fly(using XP ability to
stop pcmcia cards). 2 and 3 still hold when I do this.

Doesn't seem to be related to any of the normal suspects. Firewall,
Antivirus, Wrong computer or workgroup name, etc. Computers communicate
with each other when wired thru basestation, but not when connected
wirelessly through base station. As far as I
can tell, everything is configured the same in the wired and wireless
cases. Computers can communicate with the base station
either wired or wireless-and thus to the internet.

I guess the base question is whether the MN720 can communicate with anything
other than with TCP/IP?

Dick

joker

NetBEUI can't work for the wireless because it goes through the router
portion and not the switch portion of the MN-500 & MN-700.

Thus NetBEUI can't go from wired to wireless because it has to go
through the router.

This is because NetBEUI is not a routable protocol while TCP/IP &
IPX/SPX are routable.

I know that IPX/SPX is a little slower then NetBEUI, but it is slightly
faster then TCP/IP.

"joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> NetBEUI can't work for the wireless because it goes through the router
> portion and not the switch portion of the MN-500 & MN-700.
>
> Thus NetBEUI can't go from wired to wireless because it has to go
> through the router.
>
> This is because NetBEUI is not a routable protocol while TCP/IP &
> IPX/SPX are routable.
>
> I know that IPX/SPX is a little slower then NetBEUI, but it is slightly
> faster then TCP/IP.

The only reason that I tried NetBEUI was because trying to use IPX/SPX
was such a disaster. I could never get anything in My Network Places, not
even the computer I was working on. Trying to change IPX/SPX options
in the network connections > wireless network connection > properties >
NWLink > properties crashed the properties applet, then crashed
explorer and required a reboot. So I tried NetBEUI. At least I know
it will work for wired connections.

Is it normal for a basestation to not use the switch for wireless, or is
it just a quirk of Microsoft equipment?

Dick

joker

I'm not sure on other brands. To me it seems logical to connect the
wireless directly to the router as wireless is more advanced then
twisted pair.

joker wrote:
> I'm not sure on other brands. To me it seems logical to connect the
> wireless directly to the router as wireless is more advanced then
> twisted pair.

I would think that the osi layer would be more controlling than the
complexity.
But maybe it was.

More likely MS only considered that TCP/IP would ever be used and
didn't make any design concessions to NetBEUI-which is not supported
anyhow.

Dick

joker

It's the conversion of the signal from twisted pair ethernet to wireless
ethernet. That is technically a bridge because it is bridging two
different types of ethernet. The wireless signal requires several chips
if I remember correctly while the switch for only wired connections
should only need one chip at most.