Netbook: MSI vs Acer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neffi

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I'm looking at getting a netbook in the $350 range. I was originally set on an AOD150 Aspire One, but Newegg just got one of the newer MSI Wind, the U123, and now I'm undecided.

The Wind U123 has upgradable RAM unlike the old Winds, and has an N280 CPU as opposed to the Aspire's N270, the full 6 cell 5200 mA battery, a better (apparently larger) keyboard layout, and weighs around .5 pounds less with battery.

The only problem is, I've heard lots of good things about Acer quality (except the touch pads) and lots of bad things about MSI Wind's quality and battery life, so I'm sort of reluctant to buy one regardless of the apparent benefits.

What do you guys think of MSI's quality? Comparable to the Aspire One? Should I go for the U123 Wind or stick with my original choice?

nazron

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
better stick with the Aspire 1. Why? because i'm now using Aspire 1. Its good enough, another thing is about the driver. can directly download in their FTP.

I also same as you when I got another choice to buy the netbook. but I also got to think about the warranty life and after sales service. If you think don't want waste a time to search the driver, better choose aspire 1.

didn't had any problem until now. about the quality, I didn't sure about it because I already used acer notebook last 4 year, nothing happen. maybe its may luck???

Another problem will arise when you tried to upgrade to Win XP Pro. need an expert to show u how to do it. ;)

opps, one more thing, the resolution was a bad thing on it. its only supported 1024x600 pixels. some of the program need to be run at minimum 1024x768 pixels. :(

erigolhuhu

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Unfortunately MSI is not so reliable in Quality ...
Between those 2, I would go for the Acer ...
Between all of them, ASUS !

Neffi

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Another problem will arise when you tried to upgrade to Win XP Pro. need an expert to show u how to do it. ;)
I hardly need an 'expert' to help me click a few buttons. I'm already planning to dualboot Slackware or Arch Linux and Performance XP.

If you think don't want waste a time to search the driver, better choose aspire 1.
All of the drivers for the MSI Wind are available on their site, pretty neatly.

Any chance for a more reliable response? Maybe an impartial one?

nazron

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

didn't sure 'bout that. When I tried to search at MSI site for mobo driver, it hard to find 1 maybe because they push all user to use MS Vista. :( .

About after sales service, in my place i.e Malaysia. It hard to get the support from them, what i know in Malaysia only got 1 place to send for the repair or to have a support. Thats why I didn't choose MSI and also HP Compaq. I like the HP Compaq, but Acer had their support on every state in Malaysia.

For me, the Toshiba support was worse. I got an experience with them. Maybe it not my luck.

Its only the reason i choose Acer. If u can have a support at your area, better choose whose the better in this side. Maybe u know exactly whose the better. About the spec, all are the same. maybe MSI got an SSD in their system, but its not worth if just 1GB or 2GB of SSD. "Bout the casing, nothing wrong with the hardened plastic case or the alloy type case. Just from my 2 cent. :sol:

I also tried to installed Linux Mint on my Aspire 1. Its failed. Didn't know what was wrong. But successfully fresh installed WinXP Pro in this. Should be, U should tried yourself to make the dualboot windows and linux. :bounce:

kyboy71

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Bought MSI Wind U123 in May 2009. Performed flawlessly with heavy, daily use, til today. Battery won't charge. Checked output of power adapter and it's putting out 20 volts, just like it says on the brick sticker. Will start looking for a replacement battery.

BTW, we bought an Acer netbook about 4 months before the MSI and it went to our son, who still has it and it works fine. He doesn't use everyday, but it has been on the road a bunch and no problems, even though it's had a few knocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.