Netbooks Bring Down Laptop Market Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I really hope the people who are buying netbooks aren't associating the lower performance with real PCs. I predict the netbook will only help drive up Mac sales in the coming quarters due to the "Gah this netbook sucks and is slow and... it must be Windows/Ubunto's/etc. fault! Damn PCs I'm getting a Mac!"

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
AMD is working with a netbook/notebook hybrid using a new mobile processor and it will have dedicated ATI graphics I believe.

I can't wait for that.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
This trend is probably due to the fact that notebooks were supposed to be mobile, yet over time they grew bigger, heavier and more bloated.

Unless you need to run CPU/GPU intensive tasks a netbook (and the huge convenience of its portable size, go figure) is all a person needs. Toss in the cost of ownership and laptops really aren't required for the general user.

All I need when I'm on the road is access to my office files, power point presentations, email and internet browsing. A net book is more than powerful enough for all those tasks. I see no reason to burden myself with a bulkier and heavier item. Not to mention battery life on the netbook is 8 hours, something i certainly havent seen form a laptop

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
i got a $2000 dell laptop 4 years ago when i started college and i got an asus netbook this year for $300 that performs better than it and has a battery that lasts over twice as long. It's able to do everything I need without any issues. ppl want cheap. really, all they have to do is improve the flash video performance on netbooks to where they can watch HQ youtube/hulu and then everyone but gamers will be totally satisfied with them... and gamers should know better than to go with a netbook for their needs. With the economy being what it is, it's no surprise that ppl no longer want to shell out 3x as much money for a laptop when the netbook suites their needs and is more portable.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Yes, surely netbooks, and not the recession, are responsible for reduced profits. Just like pirates, and not shitty movies and the recession, are responsible for lower movie studio profits.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]AMD is working with a netbook/notebook hybrid using a new mobile processor and it will have dedicated ATI graphics I believe.I can't wait for that.[/citation]

huh? A netbook/notebook hybrid? How does that work? Why? What can a netbook do that a notebook can't?

G

Where is there a laptop that has a battery that actually lasts EIGHT HOURS or more? Less than two hours is not enough battery time, if laptop makers want to improve market share they need to actually give us a decent battery and make the laptop more efficient at battery usage not to mention that most people don't really need a 19 inch screen and a laptop thats bigger than their tv! The size and battery life are what make netbooks so attractive, if your on a metro train and don't want anyone to know your using a computer then netbook is for you. If you wanna walk around with the netbook in a bag downloading stuff then it's easier with a netbook with a long battery life. Netbooks are great diagnostic platforms too, data recovery through usb hdd adaptors etc it makes netbook use more popular.

G

"AMD is working with a netbook/notebook hybrid using a new mobile processor and it will have dedicated ATI graphics I believe."

You mean the HP Pavilion dv2 ? I sure fits the description...

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Yes, surely netbooks, and not the recession, are responsible for reduced profits. Just like pirates, and not shitty movies and the recession, are responsible for lower movie studio profits.[/citation]

You're wrong, they keep breaking box office records...

G

Well then, market has decided they want something cheap; focus on something cheap,and stop whining why noone buys expensive laptops anymore!
Perhaps they finally see it does not pay off, paying $2000 for a laptop that costs half next year, and is able to do as much as a $500 laptop 2 years down the road!
And perhaps people understand that it can be cheaper!
People can get a good $300 netbook that looks as good as a $1500 laptop!
Learn from that Sony!!!

G

[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]There aren't many real netbooks anymore. The whole craze started with $200 machines. Now $200 netbook is a dodo.[/citation]
A netbook is and should never cost more than 300!
All those 10, 11, 12" screen excuses is just bull!
Why would anyone pay $100 more for a 11"?
It has the same freaggin resolution,and only a larger keyboard (and perhaps BT)!
Netbooks are ok from 9", and $300 or less. $200 is just not achievable. Hardware manufacturers would go bankrupt if they had to sell these things so low; or, you would end up with a 400Mhz CPU, 800x480/800x600 resolution, 256MB RAM,and a 4GB MLC SSD!

I've never really been a fan of netbooks. I prefer a machine with some guts, whether it's a desktop of laptop. In comparison to a netbook, a laptop is Goliath in terms of performance. I think as more internet based apps become more, let's say resource hungry, netbooks are going to have to step it up in terms of power, which in turn will defeat their purpose. However, for those who just surf the web and other minimal tasks, they are fine, for now.

TheOnlyPenguin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
i love my netbook, who needs a full blown laptop, i have a desktop for any serious computing, but something small and light that lets me use the internet where i need it, perfect.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I have one netbook, an Asus with the 8.9" screen and 160Gb HD. It came with XP and I use it solely for my music under iTunes and a Radio Shark. The little keyboards and screens and such are just too small for me to work with and I am not a big guy with fat fingers. I am not alone and think that why so many larger netbooks are appearing.
I think the perfect size for a laptop is 13.3 - 14.1" range, maybe 15" but thats pushing it. Under that is getting too small and over is getting too big.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
As a second machine netbooks have their uses and a definate place in the market... However as a main or first time machine they are just not versatile enough without a built in optical drive. I would love a netbook that was a little thicker to accomadate for an optical drive. For some reason small, low power laptops (basically netbooks with an optical drive) cost an excessive premium.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I've noticed something since netbooks were released, here where i work most major software is now coming on usb thumb drives. netbooks are killing dvds & possibly blu-ray :(. I'll stick with my bloated hp :p

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]azz156[/nom]I've noticed something since netbooks were released, here where i work most major software is now coming on usb thumb drives. netbooks are killing dvds & possibly blu-ray . I'll stick with my bloated hp[/citation]
Very true but it is still a modern initiative... what about everything you already have on some sort of disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.