Netburst on a new board

phandentium

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Late December I built myself a new system with both new and old components. Being extremely short on money, I decided not to get a new processor and stick with a Pentium 4 550 (LGA 775) that was used in my previous system. I planned to upgrade my core later. My board supports the P4 and it works just fine.

For the moment I am using a friend's Zalman 9500 heatsink until he gets his motherboard shipped back to him. Once he gets his board back I'll have to return his heatsink to him. Afterwards I have the choice between the Zerotherm CF900 heatsink or a Core 2 Duo stock heatsink (with a copper base). Another friend recently gave me his Pentium D 830 to use (my board supports this as well).

I am aware of the fact that this Pentium D is two Prescotts, but would the Pentium D 830 run cooler?

Which heatsink would be preferable to either core after I have to give the Zalman 9500 back?

I am currently a full-time student, so money on my part has been pretty low in general. I will be getting a Core 2 Duo (my board supports them) within the next month or so. This is simply a way to hold me over until I can get a Core 2.

EDIT:

Here are some specs:

Board: ASRock P45TS-R 775 P45 RT
PSU: hec Orion XPOWER 585W
Case: Broadway 939pl-black ATX Case

Pentium 4: Intel Pentium 4 550 HT 3.4GHz (Prescott)
Pentium D: Intel Pentium D 830 3.0GHz (Smithfield)