Netflix 4K on my pc

mr.antonio.romero

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017
Hello I have a gigabyte z170x gaming 5 motherboard, intel i7 7700, evga gtx 1080 ti connected to my onkyo tx-nr777 receiver connected to my lg oled65e7. I have all hdmi 2.0b cables. I have Windows 10 home and I have tried this with edge and Windows 10 Netflix app. I pay for the uhd package on Netflix and have the playback setting to high. My internet speed is 200mbps on Comcast. On my lg Netflix tv app no problem getting 4K hdr and Dolby Vision. When it comes to my pc I can not get 4K on Netflix. In the tv info on my lg tv I see it say I’m getting in 2160. I have been with tech support with intel, Nvidia, gigabyte, and Netflix. Still have no answers. Hoping I can get some help from people on here thanks.

kevin.callaghan.us

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

I have same processor as you but with a AMD RX560 graphics card. My monitor is an LG 32UD59. I was told by AMD to make sure I use HDMI with 2.0 cables or Display Port. I use Display Port. Best resolution I get is 1440 on YouTube and 1080 on Netflix. Something tells me the problem may be Edge or Windows 10. May try clean re-install of Windows 10. Did you try this?

mr.antonio.romero

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

I have try just a fresh Windows 10 install because Nvidia has told me that third party codec were causing problem and still no fix. I replaced all my cables with hdmi 2.0b cause Nvidia also told me that it could be cables.

No where have I seen than AMD cards can do Netflix 4K yet.

kevin.callaghan.us

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Could be the card but AMD swears it can do 4k/60Hz. Glad to hear it may not be problem with Windows 10. But you definitely have a compatible graphics card for 4k and still no 4k resolution. Could it be a faulty graphics card driver? Are HDMI 2.0b cables absolutely required? The ones that came with my monitor just say high speed so instead I use Display Port 1.2 which AMD also told me is good for 4k/60Hz.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The question isn't whether AMD can display 4K generally, but 4K *Netflix* which is a different matter. It uses PlayReady 3.0, which is a hardware-based DRM that has to be specifically supported.

mr.antonio.romero

Prominent
Oct 15, 2017

AMD I’m not sure. I know that Intel i7 7 gen processors and Nvidia 10 gtx cards can support Netflix in 4K I just don’t understand why I can only get 1080 out of them. I’m at a point where I’m just getting to get Apple TV 4K and skip all this bs lol.

kevin.callaghan.us

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

Someone suggested using the dedicated graphics ports rather than the card. I will try on my set. If that doesn't work, I will try to swap out the HDMI cables for 2.0b but don't really think that will do the trick.

kevin.callaghan.us

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I enabled Netflix 4K on my LG 32ud59 monitor! Apparently, the problem was that the AMD RX560 graphics card is not Netflix 4K compatible. So (as someone suggested) I switched the monitor to the built-in dedicated graphics port and was able to view both Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K. Only problem next was that when I disabled my AMD graphics card using the Device Manager, my screen flickered badly. So I re-enabled the card but kept the monitor connected to the dedicated port. I have read that you should not have two graphics cards connected at the same time so don't know what I should do next. But happy to get past this initial problem with 4K.