Netflix Phishing Attack Steals Credit Card Data, Personal Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

erendofe

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
legit companies like Netflix, PayPal, etc. will never send you a email with a link to login to their sites. they will simply instruct you to contact them. after all if you have an account with these sites you obviously know how to het there.

Hacker: Good Evening. We here at Netflix are sending out emails to all of our customers to confirm that your Social Security Number, Credit Cards and birth certificate have not changed in the past year.

Please click the link below and confirm the above information.
For faster processing please also enter your mother's information.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
If someone pretending to be Netflix asks for information that has nothing to do with Netflix, that should be clue enough that you're being phished. They put in some effort to avoid detection, but the information request itself will reveal the scam to anyone who has their brain engaged.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Not ture. I just checked my last 20 or so emails from Netflix and all of them have links to Netflix in one form or other. I'm using a pc that has never logged into netflix so there isn't a cookie helping things either. Even worse, a few Credit Unions and Banks I've been a part of will also include links (that I never use.)

The only defense to an email phishing scam is to never click on links in emails. Eventually one will come across the inbox that is 100% convincing if you don't scrutinize the links directly. Some scammer figured out I was with Region Bank somehow and kept sending me emails.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
It's amazing how people become drones in front of their computers concerning their personal data, clicking away, typing away and dispensing it without looking and reading in-depth at what's being asked for, by whom and what the purpose behind it is...

If there's any doubt by an end-user about giving out unsolicited info to a company/service provider of some sort regardless of the medium used (e-mail, phone, mail, etc), common sense (dead animal) says that person should make contact to that company's/service provider's customer service by phone/e-mail and inquire/report it immediately OR block/delete/mark as phishing scam, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.