Netflix Reveals Best UK and Irish ISPs for Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobez

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
[citation][nom]kobez[/nom]UK average broadband speed faster, Ofcom reveals-Virgin Media's "up to" 100Mbps service was the fastest, with the research suggesting average actual speeds of 88.3Mbps over a 24-hour period.The average download speed on BT Infinity's "up to" 76Mbps service was 58.5Mbps.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267090[/citation]
[citation][nom]kobez[/nom]UK average broadband speed faster, Ofcom reveals-Virgin Media's "up to" 100Mbps service was the fastest, with the research suggesting average actual speeds of 88.3Mbps over a 24-hour period.The average download speed on BT Infinity's "up to" 76Mbps service was 58.5Mbps.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19267090[/citation]
im on virgin 100mb and get 100mb most of the time.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I would rather slower speeds, and no caps. They can advertise 100+ mbps all they want, but when you have a cap of 200GB per month, you could literally reach the cap in 4.4 hours. Caps are a money grab, and have nothing to do with the actual functionality of the network.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]I would rather slower speeds, and no caps. They can advertise 100+ mbps all they want, but when you have a cap of 200GB per month, you could literally reach the cap in 4.4 hours. Caps are a money grab, and have nothing to do with the actual functionality of the network.[/citation]

On the flip side, if the broadband is slower than dialup at times and is terrible for gaming (due to 500 ms ping to a server 50 miles away)...

(Which is my ISP, which has a monopoly in the area)

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
This kind of thing is so misleading, its all dependant on where you live and how close to the exchange you are. Talk talk did rubbish but infact where i live they actually give you the highest speed, virgin isnt available anywhere near where i live and BT was slow.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
2.11 mbps is slow compared to what I'm used to. I wonder if they are taking to account average Internet usage, where only the heaviest downloaders continually max out a pipe. This would also be a little sad because while the UK is a larger county, it isn't gigantic. It's about 2.5 times the size of South Korea

I remember going from 56k to a cable modem, only to reveal that a web server might still be getting 56k speeds because of the server itself.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Well that's depressing. Here I am getting with 20/2 and supposedly getting a free upgrade to 60/6 (2-2.7MB/s downloads in Steam most of the day) in a town in semi-countryside. What's going on with the rest of the country?

G

Are those megabytes or megabits? Because if it's latter, that's pretty damn slow for UK.

purrcatian

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
They released this information for the US a while back and got similar slow results. ( http://blog.netflix.com/2012/12/november-isp-rankings-for-usa.html ) Here is the thing: these aren't normal speedtests. The fastest speed they will list is the fastest that they will let you download the stream. Netflix says ~1GB/hour for their highest quality in HD. 1GB/hour is 2.222 Mbps. Not everyone will select the highest quality option, not all of Netflix's library is avaiable in HD, and some people will be using devices that can't handle the highest quality. In addition, some users may be using WiFi and have poor enough signal strength that their wireless network is the bottleneck.

Now, the 1GB/hour is not an exact figure, which would explain why Google Fiber's average speed is 2.55Mbps.

contentsmayvary

Honorable
May 28, 2012
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]Those are terrible averages. The United States average is just under 7Mbps. South Korea has the highest national average with 17Mbps.UK and Ireland aren't doing so well...[/citation]

If you look at the results from speedtest.net by country averaged for the last 30 days, you get a different picture.

U.S. average = 15.38
U.K. average = 19.24

Source: http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

obscured

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I am in Ireland and pay for a 150mb line with upc but in speed test it hangs around 156-160/ UPC speed avg should be much higher as the slowest line they do is 50mb

Status
Not open for further replies.