[SOLVED] Netgear AC1750 not getting full speed over ethernet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dealer of Aces

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
My ISP recently upgraded their network and now offer gigabit speeds. I upgraded yesterday and went to BestBuy and purchased a DOCSIS 3.1 modem (Link below). I already had a decent router that claimed it supported gigabit over ethernet so I wasn't concerned with it. When plugging directly into the modem I'm getting around 960/20 (1000/20 is my plan so this is more than sufficient). When the router is plugged into the modem the 2.4 ghz band is around 20-60 down and the 5 ghz band gets anywhere from 300-550 when in the same room. Wired directly into this router I get about the same as the 5 ghz band. I've factory reset, ensured QoS was still off, toggled beamforming on/off, and turned off several other settings such as traffic meter as suggested in other forums but can't seem to get it to past that mark. I had 1 speedtest that got about 800 wired but haven't been able to reproduce it and it immediately went away after the speed test completed. All of my devices are capable of gigabit speeds so I feel like theres something I'm missing.

Also, if I put a relatively cheap gigabit switch between the modem and the router I can get gigabit ethernet off the switch but my understanding is that you shouldn't* place those between the modem and the router (my knowledge of networking is relatively limited).

Any ideas? Also, include whatever information you'd like in as technical of a manner as you like. I'm always excited to learn more about tech and networking has been a weakness of mine.

I have ordered a nighthawk X6 AC 3200 in hopes that it (1) improves wifi coverage on our house and (2) may improve ethernet performance.

Note: I thought of this later but I occasionally stream my desktop from our game room downstairs over ethernet. Even though all of my equipment is new and the wires are cat7, nVidia shield TV shows random spikes of lag where it says my bandwidth is insufficient. Could my router be bad? I need to stick with netgear because I've already got the netgear nighthawk x6s mesh extender for full wifi coverage on our place.

Router
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1750-dual-band-wi-fi-5-router-black/9054017.p?skuId=9054017

Modem
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-docsis-3-1-cable-modem/6105800.p?skuId=6105800

Router ive ordered but hope to not need because its pricey and I just bought a house soo.....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWHMR6G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Dealer of Aces

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
The netgear doesn't have coax and all the port information is in the manual. The wan port is what's used to connect the router to the modem.
I need to go back a bit.

Verify:

ISP ----- coax-----> Motorola cable Modem ----- coax (?) -----> Netgear AC1750 [LAN] ------ethernet ----> PC and ~~~ wireless ~~~> wireless devices

Is the physical connection between the Motorola and the Netgear AC1750 coax or ethernet?

The Motorola having only one Ethernet port - correct? Which works at full speed/performance when the PC is directly connected if I am following correctly.....

If the connection is Ethernet, which LAN port is being used on the Netgear AC1750 to connect between the Motorola and Netgear devices?

As SgtScream said, its ethernet from modem to router. I'm not at my house at the moment so I can't read it to you but there are 5 ethernet ports. I believe 1 labeled internet and is seperated from the other 4 by few inches. The modem is plugged into the port that is separated labeled internet.

Before you decide to give up on the router I would use the factory reset on the back. Disable the wifi radios and only set the admin password. Connect only 1 pc to the lan ports and connect the modem to the router directly without the switch. If you can not get almost 1gbit of traffic with this configuration I would suspect something is wrong with the router.

Dealer of Aces

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
Before you decide to give up on the router I would use the factory reset on the back. Disable the wifi radios and only set the admin password. Connect only 1 pc to the lan ports and connect the modem to the router directly without the switch. If you can not get almost 1gbit of traffic with this configuration I would suspect something is wrong with the router.

I'll try that later tonight. I've already factory reset and ensure nothing was connected to the wireless and only 1 physical connection to the modem with the same behavior. However, I definitely did not disable the radios before doing so. If that fixes it would there be a way to get those speeds with the radios enabled? Otherwise it won't be that useful.

USAFRet

Titan
I'll try that later tonight. I've already factory reset and ensure nothing was connected to the wireless and only 1 physical connection to the modem with the same behavior. However, I definitely did not disable the radios before doing so. If that fixes it would there be a way to get those speeds with the radios enabled? Otherwise it won't be that useful.
That is mostly just to see if the router, in its most basic config, can actually do that gigabit speed.
Enable other features and add devices later, until the problem reappears.

Ralston18

Titan
@SgtScream. Thanks.

No disagreement at all.

I was looking at Netgear's C6300 product (Netgear C6300-100NAS AC1750 etc..) as the router. Wrong device. My error.

Overall I was thinking about a port configuration error with respect to a possible WAN or LAN configuration.

Especially if the router had been reset and the configuration back to default.

Dealer of Aces

Honorable
Jun 23, 2014
Result was a faulty router. After purchasing another router and using the 3 months live chat/phone support for customer service offered I was able to diagnose the issue with them. They're going to take the router back and marking @SgtScream as the correct answer for the idea.

Thanks everyone!

You can purchase another model and return it making use of the policy if it doesn't work out.